Looking for something like Ares

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lgfaver, Jul 7, 2011.

1. lgfaver macrumors member

Yes i am a new Mac user and i use to get audio and video files via Ares. Ares isn't compatible with Mac so what's the alternative?

Btw i've heard of Frostwire but from what i've read online it's not that good a service/program.

Any advice?

2. Urusai89 macrumors newbie

Discussing anything illegal such as downloading movies is against the forum rules in case you didn't know. P2P and Torrents can be discussed as far as I know, just not anything illegal.

With that said, I've looked around when I first got a mac myself, but found nothing but limewire and frostwire. Frostwire is just limewire in a different client as far as I know. There was someone porting Ares to OS X, but nothing came of that.

In all honesty, I'd say forget about Ares entirely. It's just not safe, and depending on what you attempt to download, you could get one of the few OS X trojan viruses that exist.

Your next possible question is Torrents, which I do use from time to time. I use a program called 'Transmission' for those. There are other clients for OS X, but that one is what I like best.

3. lgfaver thread starter macrumors member

i understand what you're saying about illegal music downloads...
    anyways, from what i know Frostwire is actually a torrent program, so i guess that's fair game yes?
    in any case, if anyone currently makes use of Frostwire, i'd like to her what you have to say about the software.
    As for the other program you mentioned....
    could you elaborate a bit more on how it works?
    PM me if possible.

thanks.