Looking for somthing like Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73096, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Michael73096 macrumors newbie

I want to be able to see what is going on with my iMac at home while I'm on my iMac at work. I don't want to person on my iMac at home knowing I'm watching the computer. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds like you want VNC. Look at Chicken of the VNC.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Chicken of the VNC is a great client but isn't a server... It also doesn't play very nicely with Apple's Remote Desktop (which is built off VNC). I suggest installing Vine Server on your home machine; It doesn't leave an icon in the dock so someone at home won't know it's running unless they're paranoid enough to look at the process list.

Then use Chicken of the VNC from work (or any VNC client if you're on Windows or Linux) to connect to your home machine. Your mouse movements may tip off anyone on the home machine unless you select a "View Only" option.

And finally, ensure you have the correct ports open; 5900 if you connect directly, but I would suggest you only open port 22 (SSH) and tunnel all your VNC traffic over SSH. Let us know your work machine configuration and I can suggest a way to tunnel appropriately. On a Mac:

0) Install Vine Server on your home machine.
    1) Turn on SSH on your home machine. Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login
    2) Ensure your router port forwards SSH to your home machine. Refer to your router setup or instructions.
    3) From your work machine, assuming it too is a Mac, from the terminal:
    ssh public.home.ip.address -L 5900:private.home.ip.address:5900
    4) Now you're ssh'd home with a secure tunnel.
    5) Fire up CotVNC and connect to "localhost".

Good Luck and Good Spyin'!

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Ah good point. I knew I shouldn't post at 6am :).

From reading his post I got the impression that he did not have Remote Desktop and just wanted something like it.

5. Michael73096 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! =) Although I do not have the Apple Remote Desktop.

And as for the computer specs:

Home Computer: 2.7Ghz iMac Intel
    Work : 1.8Ghz iMac Intel

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

LogMeIn is fantastic, I love it. For me the other guy gets a little notification, but I guess thats a setting somewhere...