Looking for speakers/monitors for bedroom

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shadow Runner, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

I would like to have stereo speakers either 2.0 or 2.1 for bedroom size room. I would like to be able to hook them up to use with my MBP 2010 version and if possible, but not necessary, my iphone 4. I DON'T care how big the speakers are, if size is affecting the performance I'm willing to have bigger speakers. I would like to not go over $400 but am willing to streatch if there is a really big difference.

I said at the top 2.0 or 2.1. I would like to have a subwoofer as an easy to add option down the road if I got a 2.0 setup now.

I have found some that might be okay but am not sure how to hook up a sub to these, any help on how to do this would be great.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014IEBM0/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A2JP8H9SSVETMS
    http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M1-Active-520-Powered/dp/B000EJTXZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1296940283&sr=8-1

So to recap the requirements:
    $400 max budget (can go more if really needed)
    2.1 setup would be best 2.0 fine if can be upgraded
    For bedroom size room
    Connected to laptop
    Size not a concern
    Oh yeah, I want them to sound great (preferibly netural sounding)

Thanks for any responses!

2. Capt Underpants, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If you want a neutral sound, you're on the right track by looking at studio monitors. That's what they're made for.

Do you have an audio interface? Studio monitors typically only have XLR and RCA inputs, so you can't hook them directly to your laptop's headphone out.

I would advise you to skip a subwoofer if you're going for a neutral sound. Given that your bedroom is likely acoustically untreated, a subwoofer (especially on the floor and near a wall) will over-accentuate bass frequencies and muddy up the sound.

edit: If you want more natural sounding bass, go for monitors with larger woofer cones. Both speakers that you listed have 5" woofers. If you step up to a 6.5" woofer, like the Alesis M1 Active MKII, your bass response will get a little better.

3. Shadow Runner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response! I don't have an audio interface, do those cost a lot? Do I need one?

When I said I would like a subwoofer I meant I want to have the full reproduction of all sounds from music/movies. I see on the specs of those monitors I linked to can't reproduce lower end frequencies. I'm not looking for lots of bass, I have a sub in my car for that. :eek: If you say that bigger woofer size would be better thats good as then it keeps my setup simpler.

Thanks again for the nice response.
    Any other input is always welcome.

4. toxic macrumors 68000

no 2.0 setup will reveal all the sound in music or movies.

there are RCA to 3.5mm cables, so that's not really an issue.

Swan M200's fit your budget. grab a small sub to go with it...buying used is a good idea, I got mine for $80 or so, but it was $300 new.

5. Shadow Runner thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, if I go that route with a sub how do I incorporate it into the system? I see how the monitors can connect to the macbook pro using a cable like this right? Where would I connect a sub into all this?

6. toxic macrumors 68000

depends on the sub, but you just need a splitter, so one cable goes to the speakers and another to the sub. some subs have a speaker out, so you don't need a splitter.

I have two 3.5mm to RCA cables (M/M), one for the speakers and one for the sub, and a 3.5mm M to 2 3.5mm F cable to my computer.

7. Shadow Runner thread starter macrumors regular

Would going this route keep the frequencies in check? What I mean is would the sub only be trying to reproduce freq below 100hz or something and the monitors would get the rest. Or is this way of splitting the cables not going to be best for the frequencies?

Or is this only obtainable with subs that have a speaker out?

8. toxic macrumors 68000

yes. this is what the low-pass filter is for.

9. Shadow Runner thread starter macrumors regular

Okay thanks for all the help. I think I have all the info I need now thanks again for helping me. :)