Looking for speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Sep 7, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I haven't bought speakers in a long time, so I'm out of the loop on what's good.

I just bought these Bose MusicMonitor speakers; they sound pretty good, but they hurt in the wallet, so I'm looking to return them.

I want something compact, doesn't need a separate subwoofer, and should sound good. It should have depth. My budget is $200 maximum before tax and/or shipping.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Swan M10s

If you cannot deal with the subwoofer, I'd go with the Creative T40s, but really, the Swans are your answer.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was in the same position but I kept my MM's. There really wasn't much else that I could find that didn't need a sub. There are their Companion 2s for < $100.

And I am not going to get into the Bose war around here, I just happen to know they have a set of speakers < $200 and do not require a sub.

He said nothing with a sub!!!!

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I suggested something that did not have a sub. Maybe it's just me and being used to having a 12" on the floor and 5 8" woofers in my normal set-up; the Swan's sub is just so tiny and cute.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Thank you both…

The restrictions I have:
    1) I have only about a 4"x5" spot for the each speaker. Yes my desk is that cramped.
    2) I'd love to buy one with a subwoofer, but I don't have space on my desk (See #1), and my floor is carpeted.

This is the reason I bought the Bose, but I have buyer's remorse and I normally don't, so these need to go back.

How big are the Swans? At least the tweeters…

And I demoed the T40s and they really lack depth and feeling.

I really like the Harmon Soundsticks, but again I have no room for the subwoofer.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Thanks, I'll check those out.