Looking for specific widget

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cool11, Jun 22, 2010.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I want to find a widget that would allow me to 'copy' an area from an application window and keep this 'copied' window always on the top of my screen(not desktop), no matter what I see every time. Of course it would be useful this windows to be refreshed with updated content automatically.
    Is there something like this?

2. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Yes, something like web clip, but I want it to be visible on screen, on top of everything, not on dashboard or desktop.
    I hope there is something about this task.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's a widget, I'd be surprised if you find one that will stay on top of all other windows outside the Dashboard.

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I think you are right. Maybe I am wrong, widgets sit inside dashboard.
    I supposed it would be a widget because it would be such a tiny application.
    I can't imagine the existence of standalone application for this purpose but if anyone knows something please tell me.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It might help if you can be more specific. What application window do you want an area copied from?

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Ι need to see all the time a small cropped window of currency trading page, to watch the rates, whatever I am doing anytime.

7. LongPhi macrumors newbie

LongPhi

Widgets can be moved to outside (desktop) if you want, but to find a widget that fits your want is kind of hard.

I once use a widget like that but don't really need it so i put it away.

My recommendation is to capture a window or a area that your want and then export it to desktop, then use preview to open it.

8. LongPhi macrumors newbie

LongPhi

Gotcha!! Heres the widget I talked about: Screenshot Plus

If you want the widget to available all the time, instead of only when you activate the Dashboards, you can follow this step:

1. Open Terminal, write: defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES and then press RETURN.

2. Logout and login again.

3.Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard), use your mouse to grab the widget and press F12 again (while still holding the widget) and then drop the widget wherever you want to.

Source: MacWorld

Have funs :D

9. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

I am already using screenshot plus.
    It takes a shot of a still image/frame. No updating takes place.

Thanks for the advice for putting widget outside dashboard.