Looking for SSD for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by craighton, Jul 9, 2011.

1. craighton macrumors member

craighton

I just bought a MacBook Pro and I opted for the HDD because I think the SSD that Apple wants to put in costs way too much.

I am looking for maybe a 250GB to 500GB SSD that I can swap out in the MacBook Pro. Preferably one that has great transfer rates. I was looking at the OCZ SSDs but I'm unsure which one I should get or even if OCZ is the way to go.

Any help and recommendations would be amazing.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use a OCZ Vertex2 180GB. Works great in my mid 2010 13" MBP.

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

4. ZStation macrumors newbie

No problems with a 120GB Vertex 2E in my Mid09 MacBook Pro.

5. rikscha macrumors 6502a

very happy to get another warning for this, but are you serious macrumors? do your job and educate your users. This question is asked how many times a day? the quality of this forum is constantly going down.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Ohhh, handbags!

OP, if you're after great random-read speeds and durability, it's hard not to recommend intel, I just got a bnib x25-m 160gb, it's the previous gen, but they're going pretty cheap now and there are plenty of YouTube videos showing performance.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Since when is it "macrumors" fault that there are people who don't read the threads that are there? I think you deserve a warning, and a public shunning too. Get over yourself.

jW

8. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

I put a G2 Intel 160GB in my 5 week old 13" MBP. I know there are faster SSDs out there, but I had this one in my '08 that I put in last fall. Doesn't boot as fast as an Air, but it blazes once up. Makes me wonder what the faster ones are like.

9. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You dont seem to know how a proper forum works. In other forums admins would immediately close this thread and refer the OP to the other 100 threads which discussed the exact same question many times before. This is a ****ing forum and not a stupid social network.

10. Kuray macrumors regular

OWC Electra 120 GB

With $210 price ticket, and extremely fast SATA III speed.

11. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

who cares? seriously are your topics or topics youre interested in being bumped off the front page? This forum isnt that high volume.

I get a chuckle every time i read a post like yours because if it werent for repetitive topics there wouldnt be any at all. Get a life seriously

12. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I agree, people should learn how to use the search bar before posting. But as long as forum members are willing to reply, then what's the problem. The only one who seems to be upset about it is you.

13. Philflow macrumors 65816

Crucial M4 256GB is very fast and much more reliable than any Sandforce drive.

14. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Vertex 3 Max IOPS

I used on in my i5 13" while I had it and it was insanely fast. Well worth the premium for the better flash memory alone.

No beach balls or any wackiness.

15. ZStation macrumors newbie

Dry your eyes, get up from your computer, go to the door and open it. Out there, you might just find a life. Oh, and make sure to put some pants on...

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

One of the really good things about MR is that one can ask questions online and - most of the time - receive a civil and informed response. Seriously, what's wrong with asking questions? That's how you learn, and also, how others who are reading, and who may not have known that information, or thought to ask it, also learn.

Anyway, to my mind, better to ask questions than some of the rather repetitive threads (which I'm more than culpable of responding to sometimes) on forthcoming or imminent upgrades of Mac products and what MR members think or feel or hope such upgrades will bring.

In any case, why shouldn't members ask questions? I have done it myself, and been very grateful when other MR members, sometimes from strange and faraway places, have taken the time and the trouble, to answer across cyberspace. How cool is that?

To the OP, I'm not knowledgeable about this - but must say I find the thread informative. Apart from Runcorn, I had not known of other manufacturers of SSD such as Vertex until I read this thread.

Cheers

17. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Love the people you have absolutely no argument other than "get a life".

If you have a 'life' why bother even answering but obviously you do not have anything better to do than browsing the forum and telling other people off.
    hey, get out and don't forget to take off your batman t-shirt, people like me might laugh at you out there.