Looking for suggestion or advice on 5K iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ryanmelander, Oct 23, 2015.

  1. Ryanmelander macrumors newbie


    Oct 23, 2015
    I am a long time 27 inch iMac user however, I have never invested in the 5K model. I've been watching the 5K models drop in price a little bit just before the release of the next-generation 5K iMac. I was almost convinced to go in build a unit with an i7 processor when I stopped into a Best Buy today and saw that the last generation demo unit was available to purchase and in immaculate condition for $1300.00

    I appreciate any input… My main question is if it was you, would you purchase the last generation 5K iMac which was originally $2,299, for $1,300.....or would you advise against it and just grin and bare the cost of the next generation?

    The model available for $1,300 is the MF886LL/A 27"....and yes, I have confirmed it is the 5K demo model that was on display prior to the 2nd generation units.

    Thank you so very much for your suggestions.


  2. theosg macrumors newbie


    Oct 20, 2015
    Bay Area
    Boy, that's a tough sell for me as who knows what someone or their kid has done to it...
    Wow, that's a lot of savings.

    But consider:
    Will it be sold as new and still eligible for Applecare?
    Or will it be ineligible as a demo... what's the warranty situation?

    It does have the 1TB fusion with 128gb ssd stick... that's better than newer 1TB w/ 24gb
    (I'd prefer the 256 SSD min and 512 SSD if possible)

    The only other thing I can chime in on is: You'd have it right away.
    BTO is great and all, but dang it this wait is just grating on a lot of us!
    (see other threads)

    Whatever you decide, Best of Luck!
  3. AntnyMikal macrumors regular


    Jun 2, 2012
    I wouldn't do it. You just never know with display models, especially computers, people touching and going all through it. It's not like a TV maybe sitting up high where people or kids can't really touch/mess with it.

    Further more you could pay a few more hundred and get some pretty nicely spec'd ones through Apple refurb. So if you don't mind last years model but could afford the original price then I'd go refurb. That's somewhere in the middle.

    Personally, I have the new one mid model. I was looking at refurbished online and my BB had the last year model on sale for 1600-1800. The deciding factor for me was the new keyboard and trackpad, which would have added to the price anyway plus Apple care too.

Share This Page