Looking for suggestions (getting DISH DVR onto my home network)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dimwhit, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I just found out I can plug my DISH DVR into my home network (gets rid of my programming access fee and gives me access to an app that lets me program it remotely). The problem is that my modem/AEBS is on the other side of the room, and I'm trying to avoid drilling holes to run an ethernet cable under the house, etc.

One question...my computer is just a few feet from the DVR. Is there a way to plug the DVR into the computer and access the router that way?

Anyone have another idea for connecting the two?

My modem isn't wireless, so I can't move the AEBS to the DVR and have it connect wirelessly to the modem. I could get a wireless modem and do that, but I'm trying to avoid spending much on more equipment.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It might work if you connect the DVR by ethernet to your Mac and then enable internet sharing from AirPort to ethernet. No promises, but it's possible.

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Definitely worth a shot, because it would be easy. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

4. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. Not sure why, but I'm just not getting any connection. Bummer.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did you tick the checkbox in the list after you were done configuring?

6. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The Internet Sharing checkbox in the Sharing panel? I did. I'm not sure I got everything configured correctly, but I couldn't see anything I was missing. In Sharing, I selected Share your connection from Airport, To computers using: Ethernet. Then checked the Internet Sharing checkbox, which then started up.

If there's a setting I'm missing, it's in the Network pane. For the Built-in Ethernet, it shows as connected, and I have it configured using DHCP (which the DISH DVR requires). But the Built-in Ethernet self-assigns an IP address and it won't work.

Is there a way to get the AEBS to assign that Ethernet port its own IP address? I would assume, with DHCP, that it would happen automatically, but apparently it doesn't. Or it can't.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The ethernet port should have a self-assigned IP. Your computer is the router in its own mini-network, so it gets to choose its own IP. Its ethernet IP can be different from the one given by the external router. For example, I'm sharing my ethernet connection to AirPort, and my ethernet IP (from the router) is 172.16.38.225, while my AirPort IP is 192.168.13.37.

Is your DVR something that's able to connect to the internet? If so, can it connect there?

8. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It can connect to the internet, but only via Ethernet. I just don't have an easy way to plug it into the router, so I'm trying to do this. I don't have a way in the DVR to manually assign an IP address. Only from the Mac, but the DVR doesn't seem to respond to it.

I do have a self-assigned IP address for the ethernet port (169.254.123.22), which is different that the computer IP through Airport (10.0.1.197). But it's not getting it online.

I'll keep fiddling. Seems like it should work, but maybe it just can't.

9. avsfan77 macrumors newbie

Solution found

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd post the solution I found in case anyone else stumbles across it (like I did) while trying to solve the problem...

Basically, it's the same fix as needed to hook up an XBox 360 with internet sharing:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071223001432304

After applying that fix, I was able to plug my Dish DVR into my Mac Mini HTPC and avoid any additional cabling.