Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
I am looking for a temporary pop-on pop-off cover to place over the AW7 that would allow one to take it into the shower. I get nervous when my elderly mother takes a shower and would love to let her wear her AW7 in the shower in case she falls or something. But Apple says that while the AW7 is water proof (to a degree), you should not take it into the shower due as the soap and shampoo could damage the watch.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a cover/case that came easily come on and off to allow her to wear it while taking a shower.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2018
Not the water pressure but Apple says it's not recommended due to soap and shampoo. But thanks for the real world experience. I will let her Know it's ok to wear it while showering. Thanks again.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
been wearing various models of AW in the shower for 3+ years, no issues ... just don't soap it and rinse ...

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Just a heads up, the screen is not very responsive when wet, so it may be hard to cancel a false fall detection if it were to happen. (Not sure if pressing the side button will cancel it or not.) My mom seems to get false fall detection alerts frequently and always has to cancel them before it calls emergency services. A couple times have just been from bumping it into a wall. Just the other day she got one when holding a piece of a board while it was being cut with a saw.

Also, it may be a good idea to use Water Lock while showering. It'll prevent the water from unintentional taps on the screen and eject the water from the speaker when turning it off.

Another thing to think about...will the speaker and mics work well if they're filled with water? Would she hear the warning or be able to communicate? Probably not a huge deal if it is a real emergency, as they should be dispatching someone anyway, but could have an unexpected visitor if she's wasn't able to catch it.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
It needs to be rinsed afterwards. And don’t wash the watch itself with soapy water. Otherwise you’re probably putting it at greater risk by constantly taking the cover off and on.

BlackBun

Suspended
Oct 20, 2020
Wokingham U.K.
I am looking for a temporary pop-on pop-off cover to place over the AW7 that would allow one to take it into the shower. I get nervous when my elderly mother takes a shower and would love to let her wear her AW7 in the shower in case she falls or something. But Apple says that while the AW7 is water proof (to a degree), you should not take it into the shower due as the soap and shampoo could damage the watch.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of a cover/case that came easily come on and off to allow her to wear it while taking a shower.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I think that’s incredibly considerate of you.

d3vp0ll

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2022
NY
Why do people wear their watch in the shower? What value does it serve? That isn’t how to properly clean it, it doesn’t need to be in there, plus the steam is worse for it than soap. It’s. A big in-no in my book.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Why do people wear their watch in the shower? What value does it serve? That isn’t how to properly clean it, it doesn’t need to be in there, plus the steam is worse for it than soap. It’s. A big in-no in my book.
And entitled to your OPINION you are…
Do you work out and sweat?
Sfo you think there might be people who are prone to falls and AW might help in that situation. While in the shower?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

It said in the OP - slip and fall in the shower.

Reactions: mushy peas

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Going OT ….. I wear my watches in the shower after exercise or after a sweaty day. I remove the band and dry the watch after. Done it for a very long time with no issues.

Why is steam an issue out if interest ?

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
And why don’t people read the OP before posting?

I guess they’re just both two of life’s mysteries.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If getting soap and shampoo on the watch is the concern, I don't think simple pop-off and on covers will help, because those let water seep in between the cover and watch. They may even trap soapy water between cover and watch screen, prolonging exposure to soap. There are water proof covers, but they are bulky and not something that you want to take on and off often.

I think as long as you don't pour shampoo or soap directly onto the watch, and rinse any soap off before getting out of shower, it should be fine. Agree with the recommendation to turn water lock on when showering. I have created shortcuts on my phone for turning water lock on and off, as I find that easier than fiddling with the watch.

frqunzfltr

Cancelled
May 5, 2023
I wore EVERY Apple Watch I ever owned, starting with the Series 3, regularly, at least once a day, in the shower. Never had a problem. I'm on the Series 8 now. Same thing.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013

It might help reading the OP post before replying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.