Looking for the best Automatic Digital Camera for me

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M. Malone, Nov 7, 2007.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

hello everyone, I'm looking for a digital camera that can help a below average person like me.

I have owned several digital cameras, and I have never ventured out of changing the setting from auto. I just like to point and shoot.

I recently got the Sony T70 but returned it because I couldn't take good pictures with it. It seems to require a set up for each condition, and I really don't wanna learn :D

I'm interested in the Canon SD870 IS

Here

would this give me great quality under the automatic setting?

thank you very much

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

You didn't mention what you like taking pictures of, and how much you're looking to spend. The 870 can be had for about ~$300. If you're looking for quality (keeping it in the auto settings), there is little that will best a D40 or a Pentax, or Oly dSLR (and yes, you don't ever have to go out of auto mode, if you don't want to). They can be had for about $400. If you're looking for something compact, and still have the image quality, check out the Fuji F30 or F31- they compete with some dSLRs out there.

Now if you're not sure what you like shooting, then maybe you need a point and shoot with a large zoom. That way you can capture some birds that in your garden, some sports, some great portraits, and some macro (bugs and small stuff) all in one package. The Canon S5 IS and Lumix FZ50 (or the FZ8) would fit that bill.