Looking for the best Diary App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by idrisguitar, Dec 31, 2008.

1. idrisguitar macrumors newbie

looking for the best app for diary and journal entry.

basically i dont mind about looks but im hopeing it has the following things

1: landscape typing mode ( A MUST)
    2: clear and simple setup for each day (for writing and viewing)
    3: export entries to email or computer manually.
    4: password protection

i looked at noteskinery (formerly moleskinery) and it just looks like an overpriced note taking app. not really a diary app.

anyway i haope you guys can give me a list of whats out there.

figured i need to start writing my thoughts down to clear my head a bit better every day, ;)

thanks

~
    Idris

2. thomasanderson macrumors member

I use "MyDiary" it does everything you mentioned above and the developers are very responsive. I think its awesome.

3. Castillon macrumors newbie

"Notebooks" is my choice in iPhone

I tried them all, this one delivers. Only complaint is that you need to use a DocSync to transfer the txt files back and forth your computer, but the solution is free (although the functionality is limited).

4. belltree macrumors 6502

Thanks. Do you have a link?

5. audiosclie macrumors newbie

audiosclie

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Evernote works for me, and it even Syncs the notes over the air. Though I do not know about password protection, besides the one you use to login to the application on your mac/web interface.

7. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

8. billtech66 macrumors newbie

I added the search requirement in quote...
    and:
    6. ability to IMPORT!, preferably from iphone calendar, iCal, or anywhere I want to import FROM!

9. jennyap macrumors newbie

I really like iDiary (by Triple Creeks Studio). It does everything you mention except import. You can include photos, record audio journals, and export either by email or backup to PC.

10. rascaltester macrumors newbie

11. 9squareworkshop macrumors member

9squareworkshop

9 Square Diary is also a great diary App.

[​IMG] Download link: http://itunes.apple.com/mo/app/9-square-diary/id414336043?mt=8#
    9 Square Diary is a finished-in-a-minute diary format for iPhone. If you don't have so much time for your diary, but you really want to remember your best or worst, moments in life, 9 Square Diary is the exact what's your choice. 9 simple grids remember your 9 different life areas. Simple and classified is our shining point.

What’s New in Version 1.2
    - Integrate with Facebook, Twitter, Sina Weibo.
    - Add data backup(2 channels).
    - Brand new experience for reviewing diary content.
    - Delete diary content feature.
    - Add feedback entrance.

Features Highlight:
    • Easy-to-use: Like JCloze, it is very simple to fill in.
    • Classified: 9 grids for 9 different parts in life,and flexible layout change(4 grids, 6 grids, 9 grids)
    • Integrate with Facebook, Twitter, Sina Weibo.
    • Take photo and photo embedding is supported.
    • Voice/audio recording and playback.
    • Allow to change your diary background and colored text with many of font type and size.
    • Weather indicator and location for each diary.
    • Provide passcode lock for your diary.
    • Great diary review experience.
    • Email your diary is supported.
    • Data backup(2 channels)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. strangetml macrumors newbie

i know about MacJournal and Day One

the former one was the first one i gave a try. but since I wrote in both Chinese and English, sometimes the Chinese are messed up even though the file is just a RTF.

Day one is wht I recently come across. the interface looks neat and beautiful. I dunno if it's gonna be awesome or what. I am hoping not to encounter any technical issues that scare me off.

At last, to be honest, I'm looking for suggestions on best diary app too....

13. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I bought Momento when it originally came out, and it has a really nice interface. It's a great app if all you want to do is write journal entries and keep track of what you do every day. Originally they were missing some features, such as landscape keyboard support (which was huge), but they finally added it after months of people begging for it, so one of the reasons I switched to another app was because they didn't respond to their customers quickly enough. I really like the app though, and it allows you to sync your Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other services up to it so it will also keep track and consolidate your own posts from those websites and put them alongside your journal entries by date if you want.

What I've been using for over a year now though is Awesome Note. It's a really nice app as well, and it lets you keep notes in different folders, so you can make a "Diary" folder for instance and keep a note for every day as your diary entry. What I like about it is that for each folder you can change the "view" of each notes, so for instance you can view all of your notes in a single folder as either "Thumbnail", "list", "to-do", "Detail", "Diary", or "Photo." So I have another folder titled "To-Do" and I have notes in there of things I have to do, and I can check 'em off like a to-do list. It's a really great app. I've also been syncing it to my Evernote account as a backup.

I now have 423 notes in my diary section, which means I've been using the app for at least 423 days, and what I've found is that when I open up my Diary folder in the app, it's beginning to lag a bit. Especially when I view my entries in the calendar view. So I this could potentially be a problem should you begin to have a large library of notes. I hope the developers find a way to fix this soon.

14. frozencarbonite macrumors 6502

frozencarbonite

Momento looks nice but when it comes down to it, nothing beats a pen & a Moleskine jounal.

15. SoAppy macrumors newbie

Have you checked Safe Diary app (http://www.safediary.net) ?

If you are looking for a diary app that:
    - allows for adding images and cropping them from the Browser without ever leaving the app.
    - keeps your thoughts safe under encrypted passcode;
    - backs up over iCloud or Email with PDF’s;
    - has a realistic 3D book flipping design;
    - fast entries processing, and simple-clean design;
    - filter and search your entries
    - calendar view

It's in 'Review' at the moment, and I have hopes to get it 'Approved' in the AppStore by the end of this week.

Keep updated when the app is Live by just dropping your email on the app site (bottom of the page) and I promise NOT spam, and only send one email when the app is Live.

[@Moderator, I apologize if my reply looks spamy, but I assure you it is not, and I think is very relevant to replying to this post enquiry with regards to diary apps.]

16. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I unfortunately gave up on Momento.
    They do not have icloud syncing, they do not have an ipad app.

I feel like the developers abandoned this application.

Been using Day One diary app. It's syncs via icloud to ipad and Mac.
    It doesn't have the rich features of Momento, but I'm sure it will as the Devs are very active.

I'd still pick Momento if you are just looking for an app without icloud syncing or you are just going to use it on your iPhone only.

17. belltree macrumors 6502

Day One is great for what it is but it would be that much better if it supported syncing via bluetooth or wi-fi instead of requiring cloud services. Not everyone wants their data in the "cloud".

18. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Your app looks very good.
    Is there a feature to tag contacts in the diary? Tag for places? Tags in general and ability to search tags, contacts, events? Facebook/Google+/Twiiter update log?
    Is there an ipad app in the makes? How about for the Mac?

I'd definitely want to try it.

19. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

I more and more think these features should be provided by a note taking app like Evernote, so that you don't need one app to take note and another app to write diary.

20. matildeapp macrumors newbie

look at Matilde

You can look at new diary app - Matilde ( http://appstore.com/matilde ). I'm developer of it. The main features are creating notes with unlimited photos and videos and rich text editing. Of course, it's free, but you should pay for synchronization via dropbox and password protecting.

21. ivylff macrumors newbie

i would like to use evernote```it can syn with PC and phone,which is important to me

22. mrballoon macrumors newbie

Look at Matilde. It's free with clean UI. It allows save notes with unlimited photo, video and has categories.

23. ramnj macrumors member

I have been using DayOne for about 6 months and very happy with it. I can access it on my iPhone, iPad and Mac.