Looking For The Best External Burner

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by judakubassek, Feb 9, 2009.

1. judakubassek macrumors newbie

judakubassek

Hello, I am looking for the very best external burner for my iMac 24. Here's what I would like it to do:

Burn CDs at 1 or 2X speed.
    Burn all DVD formats.
    Burn Blu-ray.
    LightScribe would be nice too, but I could do without it.

And of course it should be able to play all those as well. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

3. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

Thanks, has anyone had any experience with these? What's the slowest speed they can burn a CD?

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I have both, but the OWC is my personal favourite, sadly its out of stock.

The minimum burn speed (slowest burn speed) is always 1x, ANY CD, DVD or Blu-Ray burner in the world can do that. Its nothing to do with the external burner, its the software you use to burn, just choose 1x when burning.

5. judakubassek thread starter macrumors newbie

judakubassek

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I just got the OWC Mercury Pro 8x Blu-ray Pioneer BDR-203 External as mentioned above.

It workes great with my iMac and Toast 10. Another kudos for OWC. They pack everything very well and all cables are included.

I have a Western Digital MyBook studio hooked to the Firewire 800 port on my iMac. I use the second Firewire port on the MyBook as a passthrough to the Firewire 800 port on the OWC. No problems at all. The second Firewire port on the OWC can also be used as a passthrough.

OWC Mercury is a great deal if you are looking to get into Blu-Ray burning now.