Looking for the best iPad 1 Keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Alvi, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I have an iPad 1 and I don't use it that much but sometimes when I'm in my bed I prefer it to my MacBook Pro because it's lighter and cold but I really miss the keyboard.
    I've seen some iPad Cases with keyboards and none of them were really comfortable, If I was going to buy one right now I'd get the Apple Bluetooth one because the Dock Keyboard one is not that portable and It's almost useless once I get a newer iPad.

But when I'm in bed The Dock keyboard would be better because it looks more stable than somehow finding a position for the iPad in it's case and then using the Bluetooth keyboard, what other iPad Laptopy solutions are there?

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

If you want to use the Apple Wireless Keyboard, the Origami Workstation might be a good solution for you. It works with both the original iPad and the iPad 2.

3. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

The Origami Workstation looks pretty slick and I can use it at the same time with the Apple iPad Case which is also pretty great. I might buy it if I don't find a Sub 100$ Laptop-ifying iPad case

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Just a word of caution. The Origami Workstation uses the Apple Wireless Keyboard. If you opt for a combo keyboard/iPad case, assuming you find one for the iPad 1, you'll almost certainly have to deal with a significantly smaller and more cramped keyboard. Likewise, if you're picky about the "feel" of a keyboard, be cautious about ones that don't feature true "scissor action" keys. (I'm skeptical about some of the less expensive combo cases.)

These issues may not be important to you, especially if you use the keyboard exclusively. But if you're used to (or regularly use) a full size keyboard with a good "feel," the Apple Wireless Keyboard may be your best choice.

5. osxnewbe macrumors regular

Here's another vote for the Appke Wireless keyboard. I've been using it for over a year now and are very happy with it.

6. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Just a minor note of caution about the Apple Wireless Keyboard. If you're purchasing one and have the opportunity to check, you may want to get the "/A" version rather than the latest "/B" version. The latter (modified to support the latest MacOS (Lion)) has problems supporting media control on the iPad.

The two versions of the keyboard are visually identical. The only way to determine which you're purchasing is to look for the "/A" or "/B" on the box where the model number is printed.