Looking for the best Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skonix, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Skonix macrumors newbie

Hey,

I plan on upgrading the memory in my Macbook Pro from 2gigs to 4gigs. I purchased this MBP in August of this year, so its not the brand new model. The specs are as follows:

2.4GHz Duo core
    2 Gigs Ram
    200 GB 5400rpm HD
    Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256mb

My biggest questions are:

1. Can this mac model run DDR3 memory?

2. Which memory manufacturers are best for the MBP?

3. What is my best bet for $100 or less?

2. six.four macrumors 6502

1. No

2. Any brand name with lifetime warranty. Laptop memory is not like desktop memory where you can tweak latencies and change the clock.

3. If you're paying over $100 for a 4gb DDR2 kit, you are getting ripped off.

You're normally probably going to look at between $30-60 without rebate. Keep your eye on the fry's deals with rebates though - I've picked up four 4gb kits, between $15-$25 (their price tends to fluctuate) after rebate - with free shipping.

3. Skonix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you very much for your input six.four! You've saved me a LOT of headache over this ram issue, I was really hoping it would run DDR3 though, haha. Either way thanks again!

4. six.four macrumors 6502

No problem - but why would you want it to run DDR3? It's a ton more expensive and the performance gain is negligible. By itself, DDR3 is just overpriced memory.

... I sometimes wish my unibody still ran DDR2 as I'm not fond on paying >$100 for 4gb when I can pay $15 for nearly the same performance.... but I'll take the 1066mhz FSB.