Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hi all,

I know the ipod Hi-Fi just came out but I don't think I can get one at my local Apple store within 2 weeks (according to them).

Other than that one, I'm looking for advice on a system that's small and still can fill a room with sound. Going on a ski trip and the place we rented reportedly has no stereo system. We have 3 ipods between all of us but no one has a compact speaker system, so I volunteered to buy one and bring it. Problem is, we're all flying, and my bags will be pretty full already so I need the solution to be a small one when it's all packed up.

Any advice/experience with these? Any and all comments are welcome, especially if you own something already - stopped by the Apple store today and the 2 that caught my eye were the Klipsch iGroove and the Klipsch Ultra 2.0 Pro Speakers. Anyone own these?

happy.buddha

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2005
New Hampshire
I bought a refurbished JBL OnStage off of eBay from Harmon Audio for less than $50 shipped, it's refurbished but it's came directly from the factory and I've been very pleased with it, it's great for traveling since it's so small.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Thanks - I've seen that one, but it almost seems TOO small - as in, will it get loud enough to fill a couple of rooms with sound?

How loud can it get before you start noticing distortion?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
tveric said:
Thanks - I've seen that one, but it almost seems TOO small - as in, will it get loud enough to fill a couple of rooms with sound?

How loud can it get before you start noticing distortion?

I really haven't heard any small systems that can actually fill one entire room with quality sound, since they all have 1" drivers or so.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Logitech's mm22 are small and portable, for $60AU at cheapest price. $40US?

EDIT: Got model number wrong, and yes the mm50 are better too.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
That looks like it might be the one. How's the bass response on that? To me that's where the Bose players are sorely lacking.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
tveric said:
That looks like it might be the one. How's the bass response on that? To me that's where the Bose players are sorely lacking.

It's actually not that bad. It won't beat a regular stereo but it is decent if you take its size into consideration. At that size you won't get anything better, all better things are vastly bigger unfortunately.

Applespider

macrumors G4
The On-Stage is reasonably loud. I use it in my kitchen and can't have it anywhere near full volume. The bass isn't brilliant but if you use the EQ menu under Settings on your iPod, you can set it for Small Speakers and it will improve it.

It's pretty light - although mine came with a pretty large power adaptor. It also charges the iPod as it plays so you could avoid taking chargers with you.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Some Wal*Mart's had a closeout on a flip shut 3 AAA battery speaker set that sounds about as good (or bad) as a Powerbook. It's the size of an old school flip phone. $9 bucks. Cheapest useful iPod peripheral yet. They were marked at $29 at one time, for $29 I might have even bought it, it's way better than the single AAA battery one that sits on top. I know, vague information, I just don't have the thing with me. It did have a manufactures web site- and was still listed. It's all white, has the 6" or so cord that hides itself under the battery cover. The only weakness is the power switch is easily hit by items in the bag.. But it does have a rather blatant power LED so it's not too hard to leave on accidentally, or notice that it got turned on.

onthat

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
edifier 2.1, I worked at radioshack over the holidays and we set up all the sound systems we could find. The coverage is a lot better than the Bose sounddock, Bass isn't as deep in open rooms, however if you are in a small office it sounds great. Doesn't charge the iPod, but will play from any source that has a headphone jack. Especially good for laptops, rediculously small in stature so it easily packs away...my design teacher thought we had a full size stereo in the studio (which is as big as 3 classrooms) but it was only this little monster.

p.s. by full size stereo, I'm talking about one of those portable radio/cd/cassetter player combos with like 4" full-range speakers.

oh, and it only sets you back like 80 bucks! Best choice in my opinion, Bass isn't much weaker than the sound dock...and puts out like a beast!

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Thanks guys. I went with the Logitech mm50 (under $120, inc shipping, at B&H, if you're interested). Looks like the best combo of small size and good sound.

And for the Bose proponents, as a side note, please open your ears. I've heard the Bose systems at my local Apple store and not only are they overpriced, they sound like crap compared to anything near their price range. Those Bose ads on TV must be working, though, since those guys are still in business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.