looking for the cheapest way to make regular international calls...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vniow, Apr 11, 2007.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I've been trying to figure this out on my own but I keep on coming up with the same things, I'm hoping someone will give me some other options...

Basically the deal is I need to find the cheapest way to make regular international calls from the US to the UK. I've already looked into the usual options, Skype, long distance plan on my phone, etc but all are coming up a bit more expensive than I'd like. It would be one thing is this were an occasional thing but I imagine a good amount more of these calls will be made more frequently in the future.

Unfortunately my restrictions are phone only, the internet on the recipients end is dodgy (uni network) so things like Skype don't work properly or are extremely throttled. I would imagine iChat to iChat audio would be the same although its not been tested. There's a landline there (0870 number) and she has a mobile but that's it. According to SkypeOut's rates its cheaper to call the landline than a mobile anyway.

At the current rate for calling to an 0870 number it costs me about $10/hour and that number will undoubtedly skyrocket in the future so I'm going to have to come up with more money than I really want to spend on this or we're just not going to have to talk as much.

Is there anything else I can be using? A long distance plan on my current carrier (mobile only, I'm without landline) it would be slightly more expensive than Skype, what about a calling card or would that make any difference...

Also curious what options are on her end, I don't know how calls in the UK work and I have a virtual London SkypeIn number that can be used but I don't know how much it would charge her to call that as well as other things that we could be using.

Thanx,

-Ani

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Really Skype is not a good enough price for you? I called with Skype to the US when I lived over there (from the UK) and it was .02/min. which is $1.20/hr. Yes, call mobile phones costs more and that is not going to change with many other services.

Have you looked at what Vonage has to offer? I have heard really great things from them regarding voice quality, but I don't know anything about prices, though again I have heard the prices are very decent.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

4. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

5. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Calling to what numbers are available would be at minimum $0.181 a minute and that adds up quickly, last time I used Skype it cost about $10 for an hour as I mentioned in the OP.

I have, I actually used to be a customer of theirs although I didn't do any international calling..

That looks to be for certain numbers anyway according to here so $24.99 + whatever per minute rate that would be = more than I have. Keep in mind I don't exactly make a lot of spare money I can spend on this but it is something important to me.

Would they be any cheaper than a VOIP solution?

6. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Ani, the Skype solution is the best and perfectly reliable. Generally, the connection I got through skype was better than ichat to ichat - which makes sense since you're paying money.

I paid about 2 cents a minute from Germany to call the States and never had a problem with disconnections, static, etc, and this was using a German Uni network which flickered or blacked out every now and then.

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

vniow: The most economical way I've found to call from the US -> Singapore/Indonesia (more expensive than US -> UK) is www.nobelcom.com

Checking the US -> UK cards, the card denominations are $20, $40, $50, and $100 at anywhere from 1.2 to 2 cents/minute.

Hope this helps!

-Bryan

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

$0.09 a minute to mobiles? We have a winner. :D That one did the trick, bought a $20 one yesterday. Thanks. :)