looking for the filter power supply or receptacle

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by auchain, Jan 17, 2009.

1. auchain macrumors newbie

Months ago, I saw a filter power supply in a shop. The salesman told me that it's

a filter power supply, actually I don't know what it is. It just like a common

electrical outlet or a receptacle. But the sound seems different when the

amplifier connect to it. Is anybody know this power supply?

2. auchain thread starter macrumors newbie

I found Yakars on the internet.
    They said it help improving sound quality, but how about image quality?
    What's its principle?

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Could you REALLY hear a difference? The way to test this is to listen while someone else flips a coin and either connects the unit or not based on the coin toss and you have to listen 10 or 20 times and identify if the unit is in or out. A deaf person would be able to "get it right" 50% of the time. So you'd need to come close to 100% in a blind test.

Also, and this is a big deal, check out the test setup. The store may of intentionally set up the test using very poor quality AC power just to make the filter seem better in A/B testing. Make sure there is not something like 250 feet of 24 gauge AC extension cord feeding the test setup. Also check that the test setup is using a quality amp. Good amps have their own filters on the power supply built into the amp

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I would be dubious personally.

For example, mains filters have much more of an affect on switch-mode power supply amplifiers (Class D, or ICE Power) than they do on 'conventional' amplifiers (Class AB/A/B). What type of amplifier do you have?

Another thing to consider is how many devices have you actually got connected in your house? The idea behind these mains filters is that the mains supply to your amplifier should be a perfect sine-wave. While it's usually not that far off a sine-wave, connecting devices into the same ring-main as your amplifier can induce 'noise' (basically, change the evenness of the power supplied) which can have negative effects on the amplifier's performance.

The issue with this idea is that in general, most mains supplies are really quite stable/clean (lacking in 'noise') and hence, a mains filter would have very little, if any affect.

As mentioned above, amplifiers have mains their own filter built in to their internal power supply, and while this does vary in quality, a good amp will do a good job.

The only time I've really heard a mains filter affecting the performance of a speaker is an entirely class-D based system in an A/V store where there is naturally going to be a lot of mains-noise (10 TVs etc... all running on one ring-main).