Looking for the perfect headphones...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by coday182, Apr 17, 2009.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

My American Audio phones broke. (Finally! I hated those things, but I needed a better excuse to get a new pair). I'm in the market for a new pair. I like to get a decent pair and use them for everything.

I make music in Ableton Live, and would like the phones to have decent sound quality. I'm not looking for pro studio phones, because I have good monitors that I use but I take my work with me a lot and would like to use them on the road. (I used to have $70 Seinnheiser HD205's, and they were good for what I need)

Also I need them to be (can't think of the correct word here) really good at keeping exterior sounds out, and the music in. With the American Audio's, if I'm on my laptop or listening to my ipod in a lecture hall I can't really enjoy my music because the prof's voice overpowers the music so I need to turn them up, but if I do then everybody else around me can hear it too lol.

And finally, I know a lot of you will think this is stupid, but I would like a pair that are somewhat stylish. I'm not talking like skull-candy's, though, but something that I can wear around campus, on the bus, etc. and won't look like a total dork. Lol. One option on my list is a pair of WESC's phones. Don't really know much about them, yet, though but they are very good looking.

*This isn't absolutely vital, but would be nice* - It would be handy if they had drivers on the larger side , because I DJ once or twice a week.

Oh yeah and my budget is ~$100 or less.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

only 100 bucks huh...

then I should forget about suggesting any of the cans I like,
    cause they're all out of your budget.

3. Mattaut macrumors regular

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6s and they are working pretty well, very comfortable too. Mainly use my Ultrasone HFI-550s, but those are a little under $200.

4. mzd macrumors 6502a

well you won't find the "perfect headphones" for $100...
    but, check the Audio Technica ATH-M50. they might do nicely. i just got a pair off ebay for $104 (there was sales tax).
    it is best if you can get to a store that lets you listen to a few. if you can't find any real stores, the local guitar center usually has a few phones in stock, but they will be higher priced (the M50s run $159 there).
    also, check www.head-fi.org
    that is where i researched before i bought. the nice thing about the M50s is that at 35 ohms, they are easily driven without a dedicated headphone amp.

5. Bmode macrumors regular

Sony MDR-7506 quite possibly the best headphones for the money, hands down.

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

+1

These are the exact same as the MDR-7506's except for three things.

1) They say "Digital" on the side instead of "Professional"
    2) The jack is silver instead of gold.
    3) They are $30 cheaper!

MDR-V6 FTW!! :)

[Here's a Link]

7. sagnier macrumors regular

8. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

eBay $68.95

dakMart $56.98

9. speedemonV12 macrumors 6502

i dont want to go ripping on anyone here, but the sony's are not the best you can get. In fact, over at head-fi.org, most people dont give them any respect at all. I just picked up a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ES7's for 89$, and they are fantastic. You should look into them, check out some reviews. Very good headphones.

And, you like style? the audio technicas are some of the best looking phones on the market. :) enjoy