Looking for the perfect Thunderbolt dock (if it's possible)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dwight Hitchum, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Dwight Hitchum macrumors newbie

Dwight Hitchum

Hi, everyone,

I've been digging through these forums and the rest of the web with no luck, so here goes:

I have a 2011 Mac Mini I would like to use as a server for USB 3 drives while networking it (via Thunderbolt Bridge) with my Retina Macbook Pro. The rMBP needs to access both USB 3 drives at a decent speed.

So, I have a few options:
    1. Buy a new low-end Mac Mini (for around $500) with Thunderbolt and USB 3, or...
    2. Buy a Thunderbolt dock for my existing Mac Mini. I'm looking at the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock.

Can a Thunderbolt dock maintain the Thunderbolt Bridge? If so, I'm definitely getting the dock as the latest Minis are a bit lackluster. What do you fine people think? Much thanks in advance!

--Dwight

2. mfram macrumors 65816

I'm confused. If you want to use a USB 3 drive, plug it into your rMBP directly. Why is the Mac Mini even in the picture here?

3. Dwight Hitchum thread starter macrumors newbie

Dwight Hitchum

Sorry for the confusion.

I'll be unloading data on to the Mini's drives while simultaneously using the rMBP for more processor intensive tasks. I won't be able to use the Mini for anything other than dumping data (video footage).