Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
Id like to put my ibook to some use besides itunes and would like to do some video shooting and editing.

I would like to get a camera that can shoot at least 720p in widescreen. Also i would like it to have 1394B if possible, or USB. I have looked on epinions.com, and cant find the right one i want. Im looking to spend around 500-800 for it. I plan to use iDVD HD or maybe Final Cut pro if i feel the need for it. Thanks in advance.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if your looking for a HD Camcorder, it's gonna cost about 2 grand for it...there's nothing really in the range of 500-800, you can get a great looking DV Camcorder like a Canon ZR-200 for like $350 or a Panasonic with 3CCD's (about $600) which has great image quality, but if your looking for HD camcorders there still not anywhere close to that price range...

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
To get something that will shoot true 720+ line progressive scan HD you'll spend a lot right now, prices are fluctuating, but typically it'll be over a grand.

Now, I'd assume that in coming month there will be more consumer-line type HD camcorders coming along, BUT you might be better served by getting a standard definition camera for the same price. When the HD cameras first come down to consumer level, the standard definition cameras of the same price range will have far superior components overall, as they're not compensating for the increased cost of the HD machinery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.