Looking for Thin Firewire 800 Cable (9-9, Beta)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dembo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Hi all,

my MBP is attached to a couple of FW 800 harddisks. The connection works reliable and fast but the (3m) Firewire 800 9/9 cable is as thick as my thumb, which is rather annoying.

I know that FW 800 requires nine wires and a good amount of shielding but maybe one of you guys has a recommendation for a relatively thin or flexible cable (required length: 3m).

Cheers,
    Dembo

2. matthorton macrumors newbie

im looking for a thin/flexible firewire 800 cable too. the cable that came with my hdd still has 'folds' in it from the way it was packaged. its annoying.

thanks
    matt.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I was under the impression that because of the power and the additional wiring that the cable didn't come in thinner flavors. Could be wrong, but i've never seen one and i've looked.

Got plenty of those skinny FW400 and USB ones though.

4. JTK28 macrumors member

Thanks for the link, been looking for something like that. Just wish they weren't orange. :rolleyes:

5. Robb.Penoyer macrumors member

LaCie

OK... I know this is an older post (about 4 months) --- but the topic is exactly right.

I am looking for an "easy to travel" with Firewire cable (9-pin so I get the FW 800 speeds). I purchased a LaCie and that didn't work --- reading the reviews on them, it looks like they fail after a while anyway.

So, I looked at the Belkins. $40 list price and it's 6 feet long! Not exactly a "travel companion"... what are people using? I can't believe there isn't a shorter more flexible option for us...

anyone..... bueler.....

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee