Looking for thinnest&lightest case for iPad Pro 9.7"

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Do iPad Air 2 cases fit it given they have identical dimensions (assuming the cutouts don't get in the way...)?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
No. Speaker cut outs are different. Magnet locations are different.

The lightest/thinnest cases are the Apple cases. You get what you pay for.

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Amazon offers all kinds of leather sleeves for the Air 2, which I would assume would work on the 9.7 as well. They're cheap too. Bought one for my wife's Mini 4 for $10. She loves it!

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
The Apple case + cover is expensive but perfect for the device. It is lightweight, smooth on the edges where you hold it and the cover can be easily removed during use if preferred. I think it is worth the cost considering it will be used for at least a year and possibly a lot longer.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The third party suppliers will have some super thin cases out in a few weeks. I have the Apple keyboard cover and am looking for a super thin clear TPU that shows the rose gold back. Hopefully will find one soon.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
The Apple case + cover is expensive but perfect for the device. It is lightweight, smooth on the edges where you hold it and the cover can be easily removed during use if preferred. I think it is worth the cost considering it will be used for at least a year and possibly a lot longer.
Thanks I appreciate the advice but really don't like the Apple case. It is too thick, too heavy, and fully hides the design of the iPad.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Curious why that's a problem?
This time I got the rose gold and for I prefer to see it so I will use either an ultra thin clear TPU back case that can be used with the keyboard cover. Or if I can't find a good quality clear case, I'd also be happy with a matte skin on the back.

Snarl

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Canada Eh
I'm using Apples Silicone Back and Smart Cover (Space Grey) on my 9.7 iPad Pro and although I initially wanted a 1 piece Leather Cover like for the Air 2 it's really growing on me, great fit and finish, light and thin. I typically use the Apple cases although third party is usually a lot cheaper.

Reactions: HiItsMe and Wackery

Wackery

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2015
I'm using Apples Silicone Back and Smart Cover (Space Grey) on my 9.7 iPad Pro and although I initially wanted a 1 piece Leather Cover like for the Air 2 it's really growing on me, great fit and finish, light and thin. I typically use the Apple cases although third party is usually a lot cheaper.
Have you had any difficulty removing the Silicon case?

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
This is the thinnest I've ever used, but it's not out for the 9.7 yet.

http://www.moshi.com/versacover-for-ipad-pro
I used this on my IPad Air, and loved it. Contacted Moshi and asked about a versacover for the 9.7 pro, but only got a generic response suggesting I sign up for email notifications for new products (which I did). Since they already make one for the 12.9 pro, assuming it's just a matter of time.

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.