Looking for Thunderbolt external/adapter housing for Samsung 512 SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by letstub, Jul 23, 2014.

1. letstub macrumors newbie

Hi all. I have done some research but I haven't found the best solution for my needs. I plan on using a Thunderbolt adapter to use with a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD as external storage to boot Windows 7 from. I have seen a Seagate Backup Pro used but it may not power a 512GB SSD. Does anyone have a suggestion for an adapter/enclosure that will run the SSD I mentioned with good performance?

I have a brand new Macbook Pro 15" Retina (loving this bad boy!)

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you researched the ability of booting Windows from an external Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 device? I just ask, as Windows is still quite complicated to being boot from an external storage device.

3. letstub thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done some research. I found some threads that say it can be done with Thunderbolt and not USB3. I would like to give it a shot. Even if I can't get this to work it will make an excellent external storage device.

4. simsaladimbamba

Good to know, I haven't done that research as I do not need it.

As for enclosures, maybe have a look at Buffalo or OWC/MacSales, they offer one or two for the 2.5" form factor.

5. letstub thread starter macrumors newbie

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Many people have been able to boot into windows via thunderbolt including myself since 2013.

OP, you need an adapter with an external power source as bus power adapters only work with 256GB and under.

8. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

I run 512gb crucialmx100 on the seagate adapter with no issues.

9. hfg, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

While the Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter will boot Windows on a Mac, it won't support the power requirements of a 512 GB 840 Pro SSD (256GB will work fine). Using the desktop AC powered version of this adapter will work fine, but at a larger size. You can get the plastic housing for either one on eBay to give a more finished look to your installation.

However, newer SSD designs such as the 840 EVO, mx100, MX550, etc. draw much lower current spikes (although at a slightly reduced performance from the older 840 Pro series), and will probably work fine on the bus powered Seagate TB Adapter. Another option I have found to work with external Windows is the LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt / USB 3.0 drives which are available up to 512GB SSD (mine had a 840 EVO inside).

There are some threads here (SaSaSushi has posted some good info) on a AC powered small Thunderbolt enclosure by Delock. You should find the threads to see if it booted Windows on a Mac without issues ...
    EDIT: I see it does boot Windows externally.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18990506#post18990506

http://www.amazon.com/Delock-Extern....5+inch+sata+ssd/hdd+to+thunderbolt+converter

Good luck.... :)

10. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I've done a review of the Akitio Neutrino Thunderbolt Enclosure here.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747114

I've tested with a 512GB SSD and it worked during heavy file transfers. Akitio also sells a 512GB SSD version, so I'm pretty sure it's been tested on their end as well.

Personally I wouldn't go with the Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter, since it's been known to kill drives due to not providing enough power (lower power SSDs may work). The only enclosures I know of that can support 512GB via bus is the Akitio, Minipro, and possibly the one from OWC. Unfortunately all of them include SSDs, so you're paying more. I read somewhere that Intel was pushing these manufacturers to include an SSD, which may be why there's so few thunderbolt enclosures only.

11. letstub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I definitely have some great options. :)

12. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I am using a Oyen "MiniPro SSD Thunderbolt", which appears to be a branded Akitia enclosure. I repurposed the included SSD and replaced it with a 1 TB 840 EVO SSD which seems to be working fine so far. From what I have read, this one is among the lowest peak-power SSDs available.

It will not, however, boot Windows on a Mac. In fact, the Akitio web site specifically states their product is incompatible with BootCamp installations:

http://www.akitio.com/support/information-center/boot-camp-compatibility-akitio-thunderbolt

Other than the Windows issue, it seems to be a great enclosure, as is their dual drive Thunderbolt enclosure (also non BootCamp).

13. ticotoo macrumors member

External dock for 840 EVO

I'm using 2 Highpoint Technologies RocketStor 5212 Dual-Bay Thunderbolt-Equipped Storage Docks (OWC). One I'm using to boot my 2011iMac using a 840EVO 512g. It was a cheaper & better solution than trying to replace my HD in the iMac.

The second I'm using for external storage for my laptop.

Using TB the transfer speeds are ~ 500 for the SDD & 140 for my HD.

Having 2 drive slots is great for me because I'm always transferring large data sets from work to home & making off site backups.

I don't know if it will boot windows, but I'm sure OCW tech support could answer that question.