Looking for tips about buying a used 6 or 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ratatapa, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Might buy a Used Iphone 6 or 6s, and i'm looking for tip on what the check to make sure it's a legit phone

The phone i'm looking for needs to be unlocked

Thanks

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I would make sure it's not locked on a contract program. Also, can the seller provide proof the iPhone was purchased or owned by them is something to consider with theft.

3. Patron_Saint Suspended

As someone who's been burned 2/3 times I've bought used iPhones, I don't recommend it.

Check the refurb section via Apple.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or try swappa with some seller that has plenty positive feedback from prior sales.
    Why are you purchasing a locked iPhone?

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Good point. Apple's refurbished program offers a nearly new iPhone with the warranty. There White Box program seems fairly consistent.

6. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Swappa seems to be a good place after going to the refurb Apple Store.

7. Patron_Saint Suspended

All three of mine came from Swappa. One came in far worse condition than advertised. The other came with a pile of scratches on the screen and activation locked, which took over a week to sort out with Apple.

The third was fine. All three sellers had 10+ 5 star ratings.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, its always risky buying used.

9. Lockon macrumors regular

I've had the same luck. Swappa is great to sell phones , but sometimes buying one can be a pain. I'm about 2/5 for great buying experiences. If you can find one with AppleCare+ on it, go that route. That way you're covered.

10. Ratatapa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well girlfriend didn't want the phone finally so

11. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

12. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Saved you the time then. Perhaps it was a good thing. Good luck finding the iPhone you want.

13. aKansasKid macrumors regular

I've purchased four iPhones on Swappa in the past. One was sold as mint, but scratched beyond belief, two were iCloud locked, and one was still active on a Verizon account. You'll eventually get your money back, without return shipping, but it's not worth the hassle. Buy the refurb from Apple. They even come with brand new batteries.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016 ---
    Haven't checked lately, but Swappa use to tell its sellers to not disclose either IMEI or serial numbers to prospective buyers.

14. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Well, this advice comes directly from Apple. Anyone who refuses to comply with Apple's advice will never get a sale from me, in fact it would make me think they're trying to hide something.

15. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The previous owner will have to transfer AppleCare+ to your name. Otherwise you won't get it.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Very true. One of the many hidden issues buyers are not aware of.

17. newellj macrumors 601

The first point means doing the sale at one of the carrier's stores so you can verify that the phone is not on any kind of contract or financing program. I wouldn't sweat the receipt but I'd make sure that in addition to being free on the carrier that the phone has no activation lock still on (signed out of iCloud).

18. Lockon macrumors regular

AppleCare+ stays with the phone. It's best to get it transferred though (as the previous owner could get a refund without you knowing). And, it can only be transferred once. So if you resell it, the 3rd owner will have coverage, but it won't be in their name. You'd just have to submit the plan confirmation number if requested.

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE58