Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I think a good question to start with is, what are you trying to get from your to-do app? Is it a simple to-do/checklist? Do you need multiple lists? Reminders? Do you need project management? Knowing what you need will help others point you in the right direction.

There are plenty of To-Do apps that are compatible with both iOS and MacOS. Some of the most recommended ones are:

* Things 3
* Wunderlist
* Todoist
* 2Do
* Omnifocus 2

Personally, I use Omnifocus 2, but it's not quite easy to use - or cheap ($40 on iOS, $80 on MacOS, I believe). It's more of a project manager than a simple to-do list, but it's incredibly helpful for my work situation (12 clients I see in different locations, 4 supervisees, additional administrative work).

Last edited:

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I think a good question to start with is, what are you trying to get from your to-do app? Is it a simple to-do/checklist? Do you need multiple lists? Reminders? Do you need project management? Know what you need will help others be able to point you in the right direction.

There are plenty of To-Do apps that are compatible with both iOS and MacOS. Some of the most recommended ones are:

* Things 3
* Wunderlist
* Todoist
* 2Do
* Omnifocus 2

Personally, I use Omnifocus 2, but it's not quite easy to use - or cheap ($40 on iOS, $80 on MacOS, if I believe). It's more of a project manager than a simple to-do list, but it's incredibly helpful for my work situation (12 clients I see in different locations, 4 supervisees, additional administrative work).

Good Point. I will be a little more specific.

I am looking for a very simple To Do organizer. Like what do I want to do Today, Tomorrow and This Month? Or I am thinking of starting a business.....and want to make a list of things I want to make sure I get done.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
My favourites are 2Do (for proper project organisation) and TaskPaper (for simple, non cluttered to do lists).

Moongoose525

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
Check out GoodTask. It's available for iOS and MacOS. It uses the default Reminders under the hood but provides a much better interface IMO and adds additional options like subtasks. Here's a link to their website.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Good Point. I will be a little more specific.

I am looking for a very simple To Do organizer. Like what do I want to do Today, Tomorrow and This Month? Or I am thinking of starting a business.....and want to make a list of things I want to make sure I get done.
Check out GoodTask. It's available for iOS and MacOS. It uses the default Reminders under the hood but provides a much better interface IMO and adds additional options like subtasks. Here's a link to their website.
Thanks......I already went with "Things 3." Do you like that one?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
But reminders does not let you color code for different categories of To Do's, or allow "sub to-do" lists.

ADD: looks like OP already made a decision on a 3rd party app. Will keep for anyone else that might stumble onto this thread.

Actually, you can assign different colors to the lists, on Mac and iOS version of the apps. As for sub-lists, I just use the Notes field for that.

On iOS, I use an app called Paperless. No color assigning, but can assign different icons to represent lists' purpose. Also does not have sub-lists, but does have a note field that, again, I use for sub-lists. Author of this app has a newer replacement for Paperless (more bells and whistles; have not tried).

Stock Notes app does have capability of make bulleted/numbered lists.

Reactions: jusacruiser
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.