Looking for USB HUB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GALAGA, Mar 12, 2013.

1. GALAGA macrumors member

GALAGA

Hello,
    I am looking for a USB HUB, I have looked around all the stores online, but I`m not sure what works for our mac mini. So far I have used up all my usb ports for external hd,keyboard,mouse and webcam. And I would like a couple more for mp3 player, flash drive etc. I`ve seen some with and without power adapter. Does not have to be 3.0.... Will you guys please post some pics of what you guys are using or give me a link when you have time pls. :eek:

Thanks again in advance

2. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Pretty much any USB 2 or 3 hub should work, the latter more expensive. I've used both powered and unpowered without a touch of trouble. Even used some of the sketchy $3 ones and they were fine. ;-)

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

D-Link USB 3 here, it's a powered four port hub and never misses a beat...I don't like messing around with USB plugs behind my iMac...can lead to scratches ( yep I'm OCD ) I also have a new rMBP, so may well grab another one. I always buy powered hubs...I don't like drawing too much power from my Mac's.:

Attached Files:

• Hub.png
      Hub.png
      File size:
      218.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

There are a heap of them out there, and I would have thought one would be much the same as another.

My early 2009 Mini has five USB ports, of which I have four in use, and there are a couple more on my wired keyboard, which are handy for connecting cameras, thumb-drives etc.

My first Mini had only two USB ports, so needed a hub for that. I got a powered D-Link model, so there were no issues with charging camera batteries and the like. It worked fine, and I would bring it back into service if required.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The thing you might be worried about (or not) is power supply whine. I had a Belkin that whistled so I sold it. Now I have a D-Link - silent. I also have a bunch of Netgear switches, some of the wall warts whistle, some are silent, so you pays your money and takes your chances.

6. GALAGA thread starter macrumors member

GALAGA

thank you all

this is great information, seems like d-link is very popular and reliable. I`ve seen some GEARHEAD products out there which looks great, not familiar with that brand, but I really need it for functionality aside from looks. Thank you for the help guys!