Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GALAGA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
vegas
Hello,
I am looking for a USB HUB, I have looked around all the stores online, but I`m not sure what works for our mac mini. So far I have used up all my usb ports for external hd,keyboard,mouse and webcam. And I would like a couple more for mp3 player, flash drive etc. I`ve seen some with and without power adapter. Does not have to be 3.0.... Will you guys please post some pics of what you guys are using or give me a link when you have time pls. :eek:

Thanks again in advance

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
Hello,
I am looking for a USB HUB, I have looked around all the stores online, but I`m not sure what works for our mac mini. So far I have used up all my usb ports for external hd,keyboard,mouse and webcam. And I would like a couple more for mp3 player, flash drive etc. I`ve seen some with and without power adapter. Does not have to be 3.0.... Will you guys please post some pics of what you guys are using or give me a link when you have time pls. :eek:
Thanks again in advance

Pretty much any USB 2 or 3 hub should work, the latter more expensive. I've used both powered and unpowered without a touch of trouble. Even used some of the sketchy $3 ones and they were fine. ;-)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
D-Link USB 3 here, it's a powered four port hub and never misses a beat...I don't like messing around with USB plugs behind my iMac...can lead to scratches ( yep I'm OCD ) I also have a new rMBP, so may well grab another one. I always buy powered hubs...I don't like drawing too much power from my Mac's.:

Attachments

• Hub.png
    Hub.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 63

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
There are a heap of them out there, and I would have thought one would be much the same as another.

My early 2009 Mini has five USB ports, of which I have four in use, and there are a couple more on my wired keyboard, which are handy for connecting cameras, thumb-drives etc.

My first Mini had only two USB ports, so needed a hub for that. I got a powered D-Link model, so there were no issues with charging camera batteries and the like. It worked fine, and I would bring it back into service if required.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
There are a heap of them out there, and I would have thought one would be much the same as another.

My early 2009 Mini has five USB ports, of which I have four in use, and there are a couple more on my wired keyboard, which are handy for connecting cameras, thumb-drives etc.

My first Mini had only two USB ports, so needed a hub for that. I got a powered D-Link model, so there were no issues with charging camera batteries and the like. It worked fine, and I would bring it back into service if required.

The thing you might be worried about (or not) is power supply whine. I had a Belkin that whistled so I sold it. Now I have a D-Link - silent. I also have a bunch of Netgear switches, some of the wall warts whistle, some are silent, so you pays your money and takes your chances.

GALAGA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
vegas
thank you all

this is great information, seems like d-link is very popular and reliable. I`ve seen some GEARHEAD products out there which looks great, not familiar with that brand, but I really need it for functionality aside from looks. Thank you for the help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.