Looking for used display advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MSFT, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MSFT macrumors member

I'm looking for a used display on eBay in the 27-30" range to plug my 2010 MBP into when I am at home. The display will just be used for doing office type work. I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible.

I understand that my MBP only outputs to 1280x800, but what resolution should I be looking at to "future proof" for my next laptop (which I imagine will be something with Retina).

Also, what other features should I be looking for in a budget display? Right now I just have my eye on some Dell, HP, Samsung, and ASUS brand displays.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You are inaccurate about the video output.
    Your internal display would have a native resolution of 1280 x 800
    The external output can support up to 2560 x 1600, but typically your external display, particularly on the cheap, will be 1920 x 1080.

Your 2010 MBPro has a Mini DisplayPort connector.
    Your external display may have a DVI, or maybe a DisplayPort, or Mini DisplayPort connector.
    All you need is the proper adapter for whichever connection you have on the display.
    I like to find a cable that is long enough, and has the connector that you need on either end (no adapter), but an adapter + cable is fine, too. I just prefer the "neatness" of a continuous cable :D
    That "cheap" display will work very nicely with your older MBPro. It WON'T have as good a result with a retina MBPro, as the picture won't have the ultra-sharp retina image like the internal screen will have - similar to what you might see now if you connect your MBPro to a big screen TV.
    (unless you get a used/cheap display that provides 4k capability, but that won't be your cheap choice, either. :D )

Dell, HP, and ASUS each have decent displays.
    I suggest that you also try looking at a BestBuy for an "open-box" deal.

3. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

4. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I already have a Thunderbolt --> DVI adapter that I use to hook up my MBP to a 21" screen.

Good tip on the Best Buy open box deal. That's how I bought my sound system!

5. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

Next question, can our laptops successfully support an "UltraWide" monitor at 2560x1080?

6. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

the maximum resolution supported on an external display is 2560x1600, i have the same year MBP...

7. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

But is it able to work at a different aspect ratio (i.e., "ultra wide", which is something like 21:9)?

8. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, that higher resolution (regardless of the "ultrawide), will need the proper adapter to get there.
    With a DVI connection, you will need to make sure that your adapter supports dual-link DVI (not all do, and should tell you in the specs for the adapter)
    You would only be concerned about that if you need to use the DVI connection.
    A DisplayPort to DisplayPort (or Mini DisplayPort) should work without needing to replace that adapter.