Looking for video capture software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pbear, Mar 5, 2015.

1. pbear macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I'm working on a job that requires me to capture video footage (from a HDV firewire source) into small clips (clips from 20 seconds to 3-4 minutes max).

This is what I currently use on my PC : Corel (it was from Ulead before) Moviefactory 7. It's simple and it's working quite well. I can quickly capture clips, I can join them into one big and then export it quite fast for Youtube. Not the best quality but it's fine.
    That software lets me do some in/out editing and it works. It's simple and kinda cheap but really.. it works. I don't need Adobe Premiere stuff or FCP..

Here's a quick snap of what I'm using and what I'm looking for while I'm working on MAC

[​IMG]

I will use a lightningbolt 2 to firewire 800 adaptor to capture footage.

Any ideas/tips ??

Thanks soooo much in advance!!!

2. montgomeryr macrumors member

3. pbear thread starter macrumors newbie

really? that's all? i can join clips and export them ?
    i can capture from a hdv source?

4. montgomeryr macrumors member

I've done this for years but must admit it's QT 7 Pro. You can trim and cut and paste after capture from DV via firewire. To capture select "new movie recording" You may need to select your camera over the built in cam. Also I can't say for sure about Macs running newer operating systems that's why I said "should work." imovie is even easier but again I think the newer imovies don't detect dV from firewire.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes they do.

6. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that QTP-7 costs $$, and iMovie can be free. But I agree, QTP is quick and easy. I may have missed this, but why can't you keep doing what you're doing on a PC? I don't know that Mac adds anything to this equation.

7. montgomeryr macrumors member

Yes I paid $30 to upgrade to QT 7 pro but it was worth it. I just checked the list of cameras supported by the newest iMovie and there is an extensive list of HDV cameras of all top brands. So iMovie is the way to go because you may have it already.