Looking for ways to decrease FF's resource hogging

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gumbyx84, Jan 15, 2010.

1. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Hey all. I'm a long time FF user, but have noticed that 3.6 (betas and RC) are bit "fatter" then previous builds. While I know some of it is due to 3rd party plug-ins (Im looking at you Adobe), sometimes I can't figure out why my CPUs run up to 100% randomly.

I have moved from extensions to greasemonkey scripts (started this when 3.5 came out) and while it helps, I still run into problems. The major one would be that I can't scroll smoothly. It take 1-3 seconds from a button press to actual scrolling. Its starting to get on my nerves, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here knows of ways to "lessen" the resource hogging nature of Firefox.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

It's a feature, not a bug. really when you think about it an idle CPU is a waste. So what they do is wait untill it looks like it is idling and then put it to use pre-rendering a page you might want to look at. Then if you click the link it is right here with zero wait time. It you don't then nothing wasted.

3. gumbyx84 thread starter macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

Doesn't feel like a "feature" to me, especially when I can't scroll through the page I'm currently trying to read.