Looking for web design software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roadkill401, Jul 22, 2015.

1. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I have a copy of Adobe Design CS6 but have concluded that I will never wrap my head around trying to learn how to make a good looking web page for myself using Dreamweaver.

I'm in my mid 40's now and quite honestly I seem to loose stuff out my brain faster than new stuff can be put in. I did 5-6 years go know how to use CS5 on my old Windows XP machine but it's all gone now.

I have a small wood turning hobby/business that I do in my spare time and want to have a simple good looking web page that I can have a photo gallery of the things that I make and a possible link with paypal if someone sees something that they like, can purchase it from me. This is not a retail operation by any stretch of the imagination.

I am now as of this year on an iMac. I'd like to find some decent software that I can use to make a nice looking web site that has a photo gallery and I can do blogging and that sort of stuff with. Trying to find anything decent that is wrtten for Mac seems to be getting the better of me.

Are there any suggestions out there. I'd prefer to have something that I can use myself rather than having to rely on some over priced design house to make something and then pay to keep it up to date.

2. goosin' macrumors member

goosin'

If you're willing to move to Adobe CC, then Muse might be the solution to your problems. It has simple web editing and drag and drop formats.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

4. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

RapidWeaver is powerful but to really tap its ability you need to buy plugins and there is a bit of a learning curve, no where near that of Dreanweaver but it will take time. Sandvox is the most iWeb like and may suit the OP the best based on his needs. I like Sandvox, though I wished it was a just a little more flexible. I have some minor web needs myself and I may circle back to Sandox and give that another try.

Wordpress is a great suggestion provided the OP wants to have more dynamic webpages. Rapidweaver and Sandvox for the most part create static html which is ok, provided that's sufficient for the OP

6. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Thanks for this - I've used rapid weaver before, but found the need to continually purchase plugins limiting. Looking forward to testing sandvox!

7. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Try Blocs or Pinegrow. Both of which are very powerful. Blocs has a very lovely interface and is all about drag-n-drop – you can build a simple yet professional-looking website with photo gallery in no time.

Pinegrow on the other hand can seem very daunting to a new user and is more techy based. When you get over the interface, it's actually pretty simple to use. Pinegrow can also open/edit existing HTML/CSS templates and even live websites. If you see a HTML theme you like somewhere, just open/edit in Pinegrow.

Both have free trials and are not too expensive for full versions. $69/$49 respectively.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm liking the interface of those, I may give this a whirl since they offer a trial, albeit a very brief trial