Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferio12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
Hi everyone,

I've been going through quite a few topics and google on this topic and while I've found quite a lot of info on the subject, many of these posts are a few years old and I'm not sure if they are still valid for my build.

I'm running on high sierra and did the patch to 5.1

The easiest way I believe is to buy an original apple card but that one is selling for about 150 euro in my country while I've also read replies that certain cards from aliexpress works just as good, but then as I wrote above those topics can be a few years old and I did also read about some of them not working anymore.

Could anyone perhaps point me in the right direction? I've searched through here for answers, but didn't found any and may aswell have missed it.

Thanks!

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
I assumed that you'd want Bluetooth 4 as well as AC wifi. That's what I used as my upgrade. As stated earlier, search for that combination on eBay. Continuity and airdrop depend on the bluetooth 4 to work. I shouldn't have to explain the benefits of AC wifi. The card tsialex points to is only wifi n.

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
That's why it's called the "I don't care about $$ option" in the Bluetooth/Wifi upgrade section of the 4,1/5,1 Upgrade Sticky Thread lol

Reactions: crjackson2134

iciconnect

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Florida
Hello I tried searching for my issue and for what I found seemed as if it could fix my issue with my WiFi Card not showing to be selected in the network setting in System Preference under Mojave. How can I fix this if the instructions to do so is different?

I’ve read from many forms regarding my WiFi Card type and it’s said to be a Mojave supported WiFi Card. Before I shell out money to purchase a replacement WiFi card for my 4.1 flashed to 5,1. I wanted to provide some details I have that’s different.

My Mac Pro WiFi Card has worked fine with Continuity and all of its features plus AirDrop while it ran High Sierra. I checked to see if my WiFi Card was supported for Mojave before performing the install. After install the card icon had a ‘x’ shown.

I checked Network Setting in System Preference and the WiFi was on the list but it would not start. WiFi is show in About this Mac. But it’s only showing information that’s not at all the same as it had shown in other Mac OS prior to Mojave.

Everything I’ve found regarding pci168c,2a which I’ve found using Terminal command: ioreq -r -n ARPT (See Copied Text image Attached). Instructions to edit the Kext in the of AirportAtheros40.kext found in IO8211Family.kext list.

AirportAtheros40.kext wasn’t one of the listed Kext found in the plist under IO8211Family.kext. So is there a way to download AirportAtheros.text to have it added to IO8211Family.kext plist? Or does this mean the information about my card is wrong?
[doublepost=1550460133][/doublepost]FYI, my internet is down and the screen shot I had of the plist is on my computer’s iPhoto. If needed be I can do a photo of my screen from my phone. Thx

Attachments

• 7F4B79B8-8C20-464B-97BB-4D9A324C3982.jpeg
    7F4B79B8-8C20-464B-97BB-4D9A324C3982.jpeg
    941.9 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hello I tried searching for my issue and for what I found seemed as if it could fix my issue with my WiFi Card not showing to be selected in the network setting in System Preference under Mojave. How can I fix this if the instructions to do so is different?

I’ve read from many forms regarding my WiFi Card type and it’s said to be a Mojave supported WiFi Card. Before I shell out money to purchase a replacement WiFi card for my 4.1 flashed to 5,1. I wanted to provide some details I have that’s different.

My Mac Pro WiFi Card has worked fine with Continuity and all of its features plus AirDrop while it ran High Sierra. I checked to see if my WiFi Card was supported for Mojave before performing the install. After install the card icon had a ‘x’ shown.

I checked Network Setting in System Preference and the WiFi was on the list but it would not start. WiFi is show in About this Mac. But it’s only showing information that’s not at all the same as it had shown in other Mac OS prior to Mojave.

Everything I’ve found regarding pci168c,2a which I’ve found using Terminal command: ioreq -r -n ARPT (See Copied Text image Attached). Instructions to edit the Kext in the of AirportAtheros40.kext found in IO8211Family.kext list.

AirportAtheros40.kext wasn’t one of the listed Kext found in the plist under IO8211Family.kext. So is there a way to download AirportAtheros.text to have it added to IO8211Family.kext plist? Or does this mean the information about my card is wrong?
[doublepost=1550460133][/doublepost]FYI, my internet is down and the screen shot I had of the plist is on my computer’s iPhoto. If needed be I can do a photo of my screen from my phone. Thx

I’m not going into handhold mode with a lot of detail, but I think your card is a non-starter in Mojave PERIOD!

For $10-$20 bucks, you can get a compatible WiFi card on eBay, if you are just looking for normal WiFi compatibility. If you want the Full-Monty (WiFi A/C, with LEBT & Adapter/Antenna as a PnP kit) then you will pay more. The pay more option gets You Continuity / Handoff / Air Drop 2 / Apple Watch Unlock.

You are getting no where with your current card and aren’t likely to find a solution with it while on Mojave.

Answers have been given, options have been presented. The solution is to just replace it and move on.

Good luck...

Last edited:

iciconnect

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Florida
I’m not going into handhold mode with a lot of detail, but I think your card is a non-starter in Mojave PERIOD!

For $10-$20 bucks, you can get a compatible WiFi card on eBay, if you are just looking for normal WiFi compatibility. If you want the Full-Monty (WiFi A/C, with LEBT & Adapter/Antenna as a PnP kit) then you will pay more. The pay more option gets You Continuity / Handoff / Air Drop 2 / Apple Watch Unlock.

You are getting no where with your current card and aren’t likely to find a solution with it while on Mojave.

Answers have been given, options have been presented. The solution is to just replace it and move on.

Good luck...

I’ve found software written to add AirportAtheros40.kext back to Mojave since Apple felt the need to eradicate it.

I can’t name the site that has this available. But a simple Google search for airportatheros40kext installer for macOS Mojave should take you right there for those looking to save money. And no it’s not a torrent thank goodness.

I agree that paying $10-$20 is cheap for a 3rd party replacement. But given the price I paid at the time for Apple’s expensive Airport Express Card years back just doesn’t sit well with me. Especially when it provided all the same functions you listed. Minus one with the Apple Watch since it’s not a thing I own and it never crossed my mind to validate it’s ability.

I’ll update with a post once it’s installed and tested.

Last edited:

iciconnect

macrumors member
May 18, 2010
Florida
I’ve found software written to add AirportAtheros40.kext back to Mojave since Apple felt the need to eradicate it.

I can’t name the site that has this available. But a simple Google search for airportatheros40kext installer for macOS Mojave should take you right there for those looking to save money. And no it’s not a torrent thank goodness.

I agree that paying $10-$20 is cheap for a 3rd party replacement. But given the price I paid at the time for Apple’s expensive Airport Express Card years back just doesn’t sit well with me. Especially when it provided all the same functions you listed. Minus one with the Apple Watch since it’s not a thing I own and it never crossed my mind to validate it’s ability.

I’ll update with a post once it’s installed and tested.

**UPDATE**
It’s working!!

Here are the screen shots:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.52.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.52.48 AM.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 336
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 7.11.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 7.11.30 AM.png
    122.8 KB · Views: 312
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.53.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 6.53.08 AM.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 283

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Question, if I install this card, do I have to disable/unplug the current BT? Or can I leave them both connected?

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
Question, if I install this card, do I have to disable/unplug the current BT? Or can I leave them both connected?

you can leave the BT card in the board, but the connector on the backplane is used to power the card on the adapter

tommy chen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2018
Is there a spot on the Mac Pro motherboard for that four pin connector?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.