Looking for Windows GUI for Jailbroken iPhone for adding apps and music.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by marcel-v, Sep 15, 2009.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

Can anyone please recommend or suggest such software?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

There is nothing wrong with iTunes. Maybe since the OP is jailbroken he does not want his iPhone in communication with Apple. If he's on windows maybe he does not want the iTunes overhead.

Good question OP. I would like to avoid using iTunes, however I nerver really looked into it.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yeah, Apple makes one called iTunes. Works fine for me since 2007 with all my jailbroken iPhones. :)

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

6. skyyblue macrumors newbie

not sure if I'm asking about the same thing as OP, but is there a software like iphone browser which allow access to iphone file system. Manually change themes, icons etc.

After installing itune 9 all my softwares like ifunbox, iphone browser stopped working. winscp too I think.

7. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much. I'll take a look at it.

For everyone that suggested using iTunes, I'm well aware of it and hence want an alternative that can handle different file types etc.

8. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

9. marcel-v thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for claryifying the intent of my post. :)
    basically I want to try to make the iPhone play different media types. Cheers! :)

10. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Make the iPhone play different media types? Like what may I ask? I don't know of anything other than VLC that can play other filetypes... This isn't a Windows app either... You install it from Cydia on Zodttd's repo.

This app doesn't use the iTunes library though or function like much like a new default media player.

What exactly are you trying to do? Play Vorbis on your iPhone?

11. siorai macrumors 6502

Nothing as long as you're using iTunes in OSX. Windows on the other hand is a whole other story, dealing with bloat, slowdowns, and general suckage.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

vlc on my iphone 3gs played avi files terribly. is it supposed to be smooth? or choppy :/

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Choppy :p But if he wants to play Audio files of a different format I think it may still work and work well enough.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That's going to be a horrible viewing/listening experience. The iPhone has hardware support only for the codecs that iTunes handles. Any other formats will require a software solution which will undoubtedly yield greatly inferior results. Are you doing this just for fun?

If it's just that he has videos/songs in other formats that he'd like to view on your iPod, I imagine he would get far better results converting them the native formats.

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

That was going to be my suggestion. Oh well. Hope the OP finds something that meets his/her needs. Plenty of suggestions here.

16. skyyblue macrumors newbie

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Awesome. :D I had wondered why it wasn't working.