Looking for wireless/Airplay speaker set up

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by brayhite, Nov 18, 2012.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Let me preface by saying I'm no audiophile. That said, I don't want to have speakers that get fuzzy sounding when it's 3 notches from top volume.

What I'm looking for specifically is an iPhone 4-compatible sound system that has a dock for the phone to sit in, and wireless streams music either via the dock or via Airplay to the speakers. Multiple speakers are a must, as looking to have it set up throughout my basement (roughly 500 sq. ft.).

I'm considering just buying an old Apple iPhone dock and some Airplay compatible speakers, but wouldn't mind having an all-in-one set up.

Budget would ideally be <$300, but if it's sweet enough will spend more.

2. Dechter macrumors member

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but none of those are really what I'm looking for. They're all single speakers, while I'm looking to buy a set of three or so. Basically I have to connect to a single Airplay device that plays music to three speakers.

I have this set up currently, but it's to a set of wired speakers on my desktop. I'd prefer the Apple TV so I can hook it up to my TVs for a photo stream (if I consider another Apple TV/Airport Express at all). It's looking more and more like this would be the best set up: find a set of wireless speakers and connect via aux/optical to Airport Express/Apple TV.

4. Swiss Miss macrumors member

Swiss Miss

Have you considered Airfoil to achieve this?

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

I have a similar goal in mind and that's what I've come up with thus far - though I am trying to go the cheaper route than you. You can use your computer speakers as one, another set of quality speakers plugged into an Airport Express for another - and possbily a next set with another Airport Express or Apple TV?

As for non-wireless speakers, I love my M-Audio AV-40 studio monitors and can't recommend them enough!

5. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

6. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is more and more looking like what I'll do. I have Airfoil and use it frequently, my main concern is the delay. I'd rather not have the speakers hooked up, say, to the Airport Express to have a slight delay behind the speakers connected to my Apple TV. I'll experiment with it with the speakers I have now though and see what happens. Thanks!

7. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Quick update: Using Airfoil, I can confirm there is no delay, even when playing something through Airplay and straight to your speakers. Airfoil has "Computer" as one of the speaker selections among your Airplay capable devices, so it evens out the delay. I currently have an old 5 speaker set connected via aux to an Airport Express, and my computer speakers connected to the headphone jack to my MBA. Having Airfoil "stream" to both the Airport Express and Computer has no delay between each source of sound.

Can say my problem is temporarily solved (just need to find a good set of wireless speakers).