Looking for wireless packet capture adapter for MAC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gshhar, Mar 10, 2011.

1. gshhar macrumors newbie

Hi,

recently i got my new and first MAcbook Pro and i am looking for wireless packet capture adapter that can work with Wireshark on Mac OS to sniff wireless network traffic (like Airpcap who Windows-based).

Thanks

2. rado0x54 macrumors newbie

Apparently Wireshark supports sniffing with the internal Airport Extreme in passive mode. I think you will have trouble with other cards, though.

You should use KisMAC to capture the traffic and analyze it in Wireshark afterwards.

KisMAC can use several wireless chipsets. I use an rt73, works great.

Google their site an check it out.

3. gshhar thread starter macrumors newbie

KisMAC is the software ?

You should use KisMAC to capture the traffic and analyze it in Wireshark afterwards: why do i need KisMAC if Wireshark analyze ?
    and what is rt73 ?

4. rado0x54 macrumors newbie

Well I keep this short since you seem to have no idea about wireless network caputre.

The question is, what do you want to do? Do you want to capture packets to hack passwords, or do you want to analyze individual packets in unencrypted networks.

Nevertheless try to learn do your own research.

1. rt73 Chipset of the wireless dongle (Hardware)
    2. KisMAC, yeah software, but also comes with the kernels to talk to the rt73 hardware. Purpose: CAPTURE
    3. Wireshark, software. Purpose: (Capture), ANALYZE.

5. gshhar thread starter macrumors newbie

what i want to do is make a capture like when i open the Wireshark, but i need a special adapter like Airpcap to to sniff all the wireless traffic in the network that i connect to and not only my wireless card.
    so i need only to do a capture.

6. datmr macrumors newbie

http://kismac-ng.org/

Kismac works fine for me and is able to capture in monitor mode on most adapters, which is what i think you are asking for. I don't know what wireless chips the new macbook pros have.

Due to confusion I recommend as the other guy said, try kismac and if still won't do it, post exactly what the problem is. airpcap is software not an adapter. A network adapter is a physical piece of hardware.

7. gshhar, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

gshhar thread starter macrumors newbie

with Kismac i can capture the wireless network traffic like with the Airpcap adapter ?

8. gshhar thread starter macrumors newbie

9. datmr macrumors newbie

1) Asking the same question three times will not change the answer

2) Less typing, more re-reading the answers already given, might help you somewhat :)

10. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

First, i used KisMAC and a no-name Ralink-based adapter (and AirPort). No great results. Then i used aircrack-ng within a Ubuntu VM (VMware) and the same Ralink adapter, and captured many WPA handshakes within a few minutes (Linux terminal). I think, i used the drivers which came with Ubuntu, or i used the drivers from the Ralink website.