looking for your opinions on a laptop upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by khomer2, Jun 15, 2014.

1. khomer2 macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

Im in the market for an upgrade to my present mbp. going to my nephew.
    here are the specs:

mid 2010 mbp 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    16GB 1067 DDR3 ram
    Crucial CT480 SSD
    osx SL 10.6.8 (have had no need to upgrade the osx)

I upgraded the ram and ssd on this a couple of years ago, because it was doable (and cheap) and the speed and response increase was amazing.
    It still runs great.
    Im not a power user; but somewhat everyday use of ms office applications, streaming, net use, some photoshop.
    Even have the kit to swap out the superdrive with hd or ssd, as I dont really use it much (havent done it yet but may before I hand it over to the nephew)

I was looking to replace it with a used/refurbished mba or a newer mbp 13", but not sure which year 2011, 2012, 2013??

I do like the light weight feature of the mba (my niece owns a 11" mba but it's too small for me - my eyes are not what they use to be. :D)

Comments would be appreciated to allow me to make a more informed decision.
    Cheers!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd pick up one of the refurbished 13" 2013 model MacBook Airs. I've been waiting for the 1.7GHz/8GB/512GB models show up so I can replace my mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro(which I had upgraded the HDD to a SSD and maxed out the RAM)that I gave to my parents last year.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is exactly what I would recommend, too.

The 2013 model has far better battery length than the earlier ones, and is faster, too. Last summer, I ordered a CTO 2013 13" with exactly this specification, namely, 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and Core i7, and I can readily say that it is by far the best computer I have ever owned.

Try to get one as a refurbished model; that way you will save some money on what is an excellent computer.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This is the model which I have, and have been nothing but pleased with it. It travels with me and runs our corporate windows 7 image in a VM when needed. An absolute joy to use.

When at home it sits on a Rain Design mStand in clamshell mode & connects to a 23" external monitor, bluetooth apple keyboard and logitech wireless usb mouse. 10 seconds to unplug and into the briefcase it goes.

5. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Is your eyesight an issue...

My husband and I both have mba's. I upgraded from a 13" mbp and he had the same mbp you did in a 15". While we both are super thrilled with the light form factor and speed of the mba... he will say, every now and again, that he misses the 15" screen. He is a writer and normally works with no more than 2 open windows at a time. He likes to have them side by side. He misses the screen real estate during those moments.

To me, mine is easier on the eyes than my first gen 13" alum unibody. I work many times with multiple apps and windows open and I use "full screen mode" a lot... that way I don't miss having a larger screen.

So, it's all you use it and a little bit how your vision is. You should go to a store and do some hand's on comparisons to find what works best for you.

I LOVE my MBA. it's always just an arm's length from me. I use it more than my iPad.

Let us know what you end up buying.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I hate to be the odd one out but I recommend a refurb or new rMBP. It is very portable and is more powerful then the Air. The display is absolutely fantastic and you will never want to touch a lower resolution display again.