Looking forward to Beta 3

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Armen, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I had a discussion with our senior software architect here at work regarding software release cycles from Alpha to Beta to Gold Master.

According to his experience if iOS 7 beta 6 is the last beta before GM than a majority of feature fixes and core stability (including heavy focus on battery life) should occur about half-way through the project which would be beta 3.

He also told me cosmetic and UI changes should occur near the end of the project as lower priority changes are addressed.

I'm hopeful! :)

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

3. airbelchris macrumors regular

GOOD. id love to see it work. and if from what i remember we should see apps begin to be 100% compatible by the end of beta 3 then i hope....

4. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Sounds about right. Of course, unless we're Apple software engineers we won't know for sure, but that sounds pretty typical. From what I've personally experienced with the iOS 5 and 6 betas, the last few of both had very few noticeable changes outside of maybe improved battery life, though obviously there are a lot of under the hood changes, but it would seem all the core functionality and features work fine around halfway through. Here's hoping for the same in this one.

5. DavidBlack macrumors 6502a

DavidBlack

That's will be good news and I hope its true. Also I like iOS 7 flat design but it's a little too flat. I think the design still need a good amount of tweaking before the GM. Just my two cents. Also IOS 7 Beta 2 battery life has been a huge improvement over beta 1 for me.

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Just by basic calculation, one can say that there will be 6-7 betas before the release. If we go by two-week cycle, July will have two betas and so will August. Assuming mid-September release like last year, maybe one more beta then. We already have two betas so that'd be a total of 7 betas.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

App developers aren't allowed to submit iOS 7 compatible apps till the GM is out so you won't see any compatible 3rd party apps till the fall.

Of course apps do work with the betas, but they aren't made using the iOS 7 SDK.

8. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Who (especially on this forum) is not looking forward to the next update, beta or otherwise? ;)

10. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

I'm sure the people who complain about the new UI and new icons aren't looking forward to it :p

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

On the other hand they might be some of the ones looking forward to it even more in hopes than an update would bring some changes to items they aren't happy about.

12. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

Very true! But I think in the end, there will always be people complaining about one thing or another. Let's just hope for the best!

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

They never said that.

14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

15. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

So beta 4 for iPad will be the lock then?

----------

Those people never look forward to anything. :D

16. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

Those people can wait until Gold Master LOL.

17. 22hand macrumors member

I read a news said beta 3 coming on July 8...

18. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Yeah and apparently beta 4 will follow on July 22... ;)
    Apple will apparently fix the icons and will make Safari snappier in upcoming beta releases. It is also rumoured that the final version of iOS 7 will be released sometime this Fall with massive icon changes and Safari even more snappier...

19. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

The rumor news yes. The two week timeline makes it the 8th. So it's not really news, just a guess based on the two weeks this time and the historical data last year.

20. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

Dude there's gonna be plenty of apps still crashing well after gm is released,especially with this new ui overhaul . Some developers are slow

21. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

I cant wait for Beta 3! Beta 2 for me was a great update hopefully Beta 3 wont disappoint.

22. CharismaticNerd macrumors regular

CharismaticNerd

When beta 3 comes out I'll actually upgrade, all these reports of the screen becoming unresponsive dissuaded me even after registering under a developer.
    Lets hope beta 3 is a bit more stable

23. 22hand macrumors member

There's a trick in beta 2. If your screen freeze or can't slide to unlock. Just use Siri to open an app, and you are back to normal :p

24. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

I second that:D

25. kkillam macrumors newbie

As they introduce new features and make changes to things under the hood, is it possible that one of the betas could cause problems? Like it works well now, but a new beta release causes more problems?