Looking into a MacBookPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Catch Them, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. Catch Them macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #1
    Im trying to decide my options;
    long story short..i bought my first macpro (MP2.66) in early 2007 and ahs been a fantastic machine to date.
    However since i work at home at a studio (music/video post production) and picked up the 2.8 model this past june so i didnt have to continue to bring the system to work/home etc etc. and their equipment is different from home /work and now they are installign their own systems ...so now i have them both running at home and wasnt sure the best method to go.

    I was look into the following options:

    the new MBP 15" 2.5 (baseline option) as im intrigued by the hybrid-sli and ease of upgrading the HDD to higher capacity.

    Or the 17" MBP for the high-res LED display and larger display (as it might be beneficial for working with video and graphic content.


    would it be beneficial to pick up the MBP15" vs the 17" ?



    any tips/advice welcome...thanks
     
  2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

    ntrigue

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    #2
    You really ought to wait until MacWorld if you require the 17" MBPro.
     
  3. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

    Eric Noa

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    #3
    Well. The only difference in the screen its the size, because the image quality is the same..Both are LED, just that one is 2 inches bigger that the other one.
     
  4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #4
    Yes, both are LED backlit, but the 17" is available in hi res MATTE.

    And waiting until January isn't fun. Plus, if you wait, you may end up only having glossy as your selection even on the 17" MBP. I go through phases of liking and disliking my new MB. In fact, I am typing this on my v 2,2 MBP, becase at nighttime I find the LED glossy display too bright. I also get tired eyes during the daytime looking at that darn bright display all day. Not very fun to not like my new MB all of the time just because of the display. I just cannot pull the trigger on selling my MBP because I still love it too much. And it has the ATI card, so I know it will never have the problems the recent MBP with Nvidia cards have.

    I think the current 17", with the new mini display port would be an awesome machine to go. And, if you ever wanted to, you could plug it into one of your screens from the Mac Pros if they ever went in for service. You would have a mighty backup machine for home and a mighty powerful machine for the go.

    I do agree though, the dual graphics is cool. Best wishes whichever way you go.

    cheers.
     
  5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #5
    Can't you just turn down the brightness when it's bugging you?
     
  6. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #6
    Keep in mind that any model MacBook Pro will be significantly slower than your Mac Pro due to much slower CPU and hard drive.
     
  7. Catch Them thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    #7
    Figured that might be the best bet for an updated graphics card....though i believe the current line (even though they were speed bumped cpu wise still has a DVI Port which will be greatly useful)

    I think i'll scope out how much I can get from the MacPro 2.66 and just keep the 2.8 and have a rounded out system.
    Hopefully the 17" updated version if there turns out to be one isnt too hampered by the glass display, otherwise they all look pretty stunning.
    the dual graphics cards would put a nice increase in encoding some smaller standard def video on the go or for testing for usage to put video online aswell.

    Understandable, however I will be maintaining one of the MacPros.
    Most likely hanging onto the 2.8 and selling the 2.66 towards the MBP.

    My workflow will still maintain a good solid production as the studio im working with has gotten their own dedicate machines/set up so there was no need ot keep the one i purchased there or keep around here...it dbe anice server however i just dont think i could justify holding on to something with still some value left in it towards a portable machine which will definitely give me more flexibility.

    This way i can probably transform my home rig to the same as my work set up with the HD gear and use the MBP as a LE version ...which works out perfectly.



    thanks all of you for your input.

    ill wait it out for a while scope out the interest in the older MP and go from there....probably leaning towards a MBP 17" =)
     

Share This Page