Looking into ADC discounts...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PeterQC, Feb 11, 2009.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I'm getting tired of my unibody Macbook, and I want to sell it to fund a baseline Macbook Pro. I'm a graphic designer and a newborn PC/Mac gamer and the Macbook isn't just enough for me, the screen is a tad too small for me, the quality is terrible for the work I'm doing on it and the 9400m is too weak for my taste.

To lower the upgrade fees, I was thinking about getting into an ACD membership to get a rebate on hardware. I've got a few question, as the informations I've read on the website and the forum did not anwered everything for me:

-. I'm a student and I've already used my student rebate on my Macbook this year (october 2008). Am I eligible to the free or the student rebate?

-. How much is the rebate on the free membership? 20%?

-. Do you get a greater rebate on the paid (99$) memberships?

-. Do I have to come out with something, like an apps or anything after one year to keep my membership? Or is it really free and Apple don't ask anything after the year?

-. Do I have to be the owner of the credit card to get the rebate? I'm still minor, so I would have to ask to my parents to order.

-. how much lower are the upgrades? I've read some upgrade like ram were cheaper. I'm interested in upgrading the MBP to 4GB.

-. Does it really take 4-6 weeks to ship? I don't know if I can live without my Macbook for a that long time during school-

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/buying/#ADCS

they refer to powerbooks, but the info is still the same. it is the ADC discount, not ACD. You might have better luck searching old threads if you used the correct acronymn

read up here and then post more questions if you have them.

there is no "upgrade" program. you will have to sell your macbook on your own, and then order a macbook pro from the website.

I think it took me roughly 2 week to go from applying for the ADC membership to being able to purchase it. First you purchase the kit, then they ask you for proof of being a student (student ID, schedule, etc). after that, there is some processing time, roughly 5 days or so, and then you'll get an email welcoming you to the program.

only the PAID student ADC membership gets the discount.
    there is no need for you to "develop" something, although that is the "spirit" of the program. I'm sure apple is happy with its current cadre of iphone programmers (except for the 13y/o who jailbroke the iphone)
    Oh and you get one discount for LIFE. even if you purchase another $99 membership next year, you won't be able to get a discount on the hardware after you used it once.

also, don't refer to it as a rebate. it is a discount, an immediate discount. (although if you're located outside the US, the terminology may be different)

3. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Ok thanks. I've read the part you've showed. I was already scheduled to sell the Macbook and I knew Apple would do absolutely nothing about it.

-So I really must buy the 99$ membership? I understand that the free won't give this the benefices then? Still Seems fair, as i would come to 1816$ CAN + taxes for a baseline MBP.

-I still don't see if I'll be eligible to the discount, as I've already brought a Macbook like I said.

-Annnnnd about the upgrades (ie: Ram and hard drive). Do they cost the same thing, and they just apply the discount after all the options are applied to your custom computer?

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

yes. you HAVE to buy the membership. otherwise, you would have to settle for the regular education discount.

I think you will be able to buy the macbook pro. They are under different programs. you can always call them and ask. They are very friendly people.

upgrades are also cheaper with the ADC program. The baseline price is cheaper, as are the upgrades. All the prices (baseline and upgrades) are cheaper with the ADC program versus the regular education store.

i think you can register to be a free student adc member and have ACCESS to the store, so you can check out the prices. you just won't be able to BUY it until you have a paid ADC student membership.

I remember being able to check out the prices before signing up for the program. There was NO way i was going to plop down $99 before seeing what my final price would be, and to compare it to the other online shops.

Also, if you're interested in the apple monitors, you are also able to get a hefty discount on the Apple LCD with your student discount. As i said before, it is a ONE-TIME discount, so choose wisely.

5. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Thanks for the help. I'll get into this once the Macbook is sold. That will be hard part, sadly. I'm not interest in LCDs, they are way out of my budget. The 15'' screen should be enough, as that's roughly the resolution I was using on my old PC when I was working on photoshop. I'm looking to be able to get the MBP for between 300 and 500$ more then what I sell the MB for.

They were speaking about iPod and acessories in the link you posted. I believe it's only for the 3500$ membership (WAY out of my budget XD) throuth, but they said that you can get an iPod or an accessory with a Mac. Does it get a discounted price too?

6. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Purchased an ACD student Account

Ok, I purchased a student ACD account and got the confirmation email with the activation code a few minutes ago and went ahead and activated it. What I didn't get was the email with the fax# to fax my student verification? Do I wait for that student verification email explaining what to do or can I just send it in(FAX). I want to buy a MBP 17" next week around Tuesday (Holiday Monday), and I want to be squared away with the verification process before buying.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You know you're buying via ADC and everything goes through their website, right? It's not like you get the green light to go pick one up at the Apple Store. At least that's my understanding...:confused:

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

ADC

Apple Developer Connection

ACD

Apple Cinema Display?

:eek:

9. xilni macrumors member

xilni

That's exactly the case, I just recently bought my new unibody 17" through the ADC store using my Student Membership ($99).

After activating my student ADC membership I was able to access their special online store, the 20% reduction is already applied to everything and when compared to the normal apple store or even the normal student discount it is quite a nice difference. A few days after I placed the order they sent me an email requesting that I prove my current student status so I sent them the documents they asked for.

Overall an easy process, if you're a currently enrolled student in university and are considering buying a high end MBP or Mac Pro then it is most definitely worth the extra step. The beauty of it is that if you really want one of the 30" Apple Cinema Display you also get 20% off that since it's part of the setup options on your laptop/desktop.

I just bought the laptop but saved a few hundred.

10. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Yeah, that's what I meant, "buying from the ADC website". So I buy my the laptop first and then provide the verification info after...correct?

11. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

No way that you'll get the 17' next week, it got delayed.

Thanks guys for the help. I should have through about that the first time around instead of buying my Macbook. But hey, live and learn.

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You don't "buy" it first, you place your order through the website. Depending on what time you place the order and how busy they are, it's typically the next day when you get the verification email.

I highly suggest that once you receive that email, you hit reply and ask if you can email them your docs. They will say yes - that way you can have your status verified within the hour vs the 48hr turn-around time via fax.

Ideally you want to email them in and call approximately 1 hr later to make sure they got everything, while on the phone if they don't need anything else - they verify and activate your ADC membership account.

13. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

another option is to go ebay hunting. Be patient and you will find a gem

of course, I was also burned by the "scam" for the $1500 MBP, but since I paid with paypal, there was really nothing to lose, except for time spent conversing with the scammer and waiting for paypal to rule against him.

PS - a quick search shows that the best price you can get for a new MBP (entry level 15") is roughly $1750 or so, SHIPPPED. when i was looking for a laptop. I found them go as low as $1600, and even if they were open, the sellers would also say that there were no dead pixels and or physical blemishes. You just got to be patient and diligent.

14. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

ADC FAQ: BTW, It is ADC, not ACD

Sell the Macbook later after you get the MBP if you are worried. And no, it does not take that long. The process is just spooling up now. Give it a month and they will be shipping things out in a week to ten days for custom configurations.

To give you an example of what you get with ADC. I recently downloaded Snow Leopard, and Snow Leopard Server. I was given a copy of OS X 10.5 also. I will be loading up Snow Leopard Server real soon and run some benchmarks on it. I think I shall find it is the best OS ever produced, with the best file system and hopefully, it will better utilize the higher levels of RAM, above 16 GB, available in todays high end machines.

I think you would be wise to keep your MacBook and save your money. Price out, at MacMall prices the MBP you want.

If all you are really interested in is gaming, you should buy a Windows machine for that. Only gamers whine about the graphics. You will never make money ifyou spend your time gaming.

The last generation MBP graphics are fine. Even the Mac Mini, which most people whine about it's graphics, is a fine platform. I love my Mac Mini. I wish ADC would let developers purchase 3-4 of these at a discount instead of one high end machine.

I think you are reading too much, or listening to the wrong people, and not thinking enough for yourself, if you are unhappy with a new MB.

You might be better off buying an external display, keyboard and mouse, and keeping your MB if you want a bigger screen.

In any event, good luck to you. If you are eligible for ADC Student membership, then that is a good option for you. If not, then you should forget about ADC...

15. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Ebay would have been a option if I was english, I'm a French Canadian, and I need the version with the French Canadian keyboard.

I already posted the reason. The small screen is horrible for what I'm doing, and considering that buying a good screen would be around 300$, I just want to spend the 200$ for the MBP and have the screen with me all the time without having to transport a monitor. whenever I want to go back to my family's home, which is 3h away from where I live during college.

Student discount (not ACD) on Apple website

And student membership does not give you any apps seed, so no snow leopard for me.

Like I said, I'm a graphic design student. I need to work on many adobe files. Without my Mac, I'll have to to my school during the weekends and my freetime to work. While I have my own machine, I can just stay home and work when I want. And I'm 17 by the way. I'd do it all by myself if I got a credit card.

16. jakster4u macrumors newbie

You can check out the prices without actually signing up for the program, but you have to get to the ADC Store main page, then click on your actual country, not your region. Also you don't have to fax your info, I just called ADC and got an email address, emailed it to them. Then I got a confirmation in about 2 days, and ordered my macbook pro.

17. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Looked at the prices, it would make the MBP @ 1712 $Can + taxes, which would be for all the fees 2032 $Can (including the Quebec taxes, IF they count them, I don't know).

Now the only hard part would be to sell the Macbook.

18. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

So your MB goes for $1600 new. I've seen them sell refurbished for $1500 direct from Apple.

What do you think you can get for it? I would think $1300 would be an attractive price to someone who wants the faster processor, for only $100 more than a new one with the base processor and smaller hard drive.

If I were you, I would not part with it for less than $1200.

Top price would be about $1350, any more than that and people would want to just go and buy a new one.

If you have Apple Care, then perhaps you could add another $50 to $100 onto these prices.

If you have all the original boxes and stuff that might not increase the value, but it would make it easier to sell.

19. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i think he said his macbook had the canadian keyboard. This could make it harder to sell because his potential pool of customers is small. Then again, being "unique" his might be able to sell for a higher price.

as a guide, i bought my 2.4ghz (the $1600) SEALED unibody macbook for $1300 shipped on ebay. I also got the low end macbook air used (newest revision) for $1400, and I've seen the low end 15" unibody macbook pro for
    $1600 or so.

ebay is a great place to buy macbooks if you are careful and patient. I ended up selling my macbook air back on ebay for $1600, giving me a ~$120 profit after fees which went towards making my macbook even cheaper for me.

20. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It's an french canadian Macbook by the way. For now, apple does not sell refurbished mac with the french keyboard layout. I've looked into the internet and I'm pretty much the single one who sell this.

I'm not expecting to be able to sell it here. No would buy it because of the keyboard. I'm also taking into consideration that many people don't know about the refurbished store. Another difference is that I'm selling without taxes, while Apple does.

But selling it at 1300 wouldn't be so bad actually. At first I was seeking 1550$, which is about 400$ difference with a new one. I've found a way to "easily" get the 600$ that I was seeking to pay the difference, and paying around 100-200$ more wouldn't bother me.

And once again, I won't buy form ebay. It isn't an option, I need a french canadian keyboard (My primary language is french after all). Also, I don't think I would have any support from Apple Canada with an US Macbook.

21. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

There seems to be a lot of writing here for what could be solved pretty simply.

Take a look at the store and see the discounts. They are MUCH greater than the regular student discount.

You need to pay $100 dollars for the student ADC discount. It's worth it for what you'll save.

Here are the different types of memberships.

The cool thing about getting it before SnowLeopard is released is that you'll get a copy of it with your ADC membership. (When it's released - I hear)

22. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

no. not quite that simple. your first link leads to nowhere

i already provided a link to a description of the student ADC program in my first or second reply in this thread.

nice try though.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't directly link to the Developer Store.

http://developer.apple.com/membership/northamerica.html

The first link on this page will get you into it.

Provided they still give out the boxes to Student Members. I believe they have stopped doing that, and with it, stopped giving out copies of the current OS.

24. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I'm sooooo happy.

I just found someone who want to buy the Macbooks. He offer 1500$. No way I'm refusing it.

I ALSO found the money (Around 500$) that I was lacking to buy the MBP.

Once I'm done with the current assignments for my graphic design course, this laptop is SOLD! :D

25. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Ooooooo no no, shame on you for abusing our treasured student ADC program, knowing that your not really a developer.