Looking into an iPhone, help from Australian owners appreciated.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ivan P, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Hey guys,

So I have an iPod touch, but have been wanting an iPhone for a while now. I've contacted all three Australian carriers - Optus, Telstra and Vodafone - in regards to buying the iPhone outright.

Where I live, the only carrier I'd be able to use is Telstra. As it is, my current phone is prepaid, and I'd like it to stay that way.

It's my understanding that Optus used to offer outright sales and for an extra $80 it would be unlocked, but this has been stopped apparently. Is that true?

I've also heard that Telstra will sell the iPhone outright, but if you want to use it with another carrier you will also have to pay an unlocking fee, otherwise you can use any Telstra 3G (Next-G) SIM; that's fine with me because I'm already with Telstra anyway.

Does anyone know if Telstra still offers for people to buy the iPhone outright? I know if I wait another day I'll have my replies from all three carriers, but as it is I'm impatient and a member of a forum with people that hopefully know :D

2. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

The only carrier I knew selling outright was Optus, but I dunno if that ever eventuated.

If you're interested, I'm thinking of selling my black 16gb unlocked 3g. PM me if you want more info.