Looking into buying a Macbook Pro: Warranty Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nygiants242, May 29, 2010.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

Oct 11, 2007
    What have your experiences been purchasing an Apple notebook with an American Express card, in turn replacing the need to purchase Apple Care?

It'd be nice to save that extra 180, or whatever it is, if American Express just takes care of that extra year. Have any of you ever filed claims? How is it? What do you think?

Thank you! :)
  2. seventy9ers macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2010
    Awesome experience

American Express is phenomenal with covering that extra year if you choose not to buy Apple Care. I had a white macbook purchased in 07 and hard drive failed on me, they covered it with no problem. They issued it as credit to your statement.

I am toying with the idea of purchasing Apple Care for my 2010 MBP 15" i7 this time around because I hear people got their MBP upgraded when the logic board failed. Something that American Express won't be able to do...
  3. nygiants242 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 11, 2007
    Hmm.. so how do we know what they DO and DON'T cover? So in that case, American Express Extended Coverage still does not = Apple Care coverage in terms of what it can all cover.
  4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    AMEX also won't provide telephone support, as AppleCare does. I wouldn't expect AMEX to measure up to AppleCare, in terms of completeness of coverage or in warranty work experience.
  5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

Jul 13, 2009
    American express gives you an extra year (or more, depending on which card).

4 year warranty w/ apple care.

Its still worth it.
  6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2006
    NC, USA
    You may want to check that with Amex. Amex extends the original factory warranty by one year. They do not extend extended warranties by another year. Aoolecare and Amex are redundant (except damage) for year #2. Then Applecare covers year #3 (except damage).
  7. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington State
    Well, from what I read they either pay for repairs or they decide to replace your laptop (or refund you it), so while they couldn't repair it, they could pay for repairs (or decide it's cheaper to just refund you for the laptop or buy you another one which at that point would probably be an upgrade cause they probably wouldn't offer the same one anymore).

But I guess my question is answered, the extended warranty does cover computers (They have a list of things it does not cover but don't have it easily accessed from their info about the extended warranty).

I at this point am not sure if Applecare is worth it since it would just extend the coverage I have by a year. (and I'm already planning on waiting 90 days after I purchase before I buy State Farm's coverage for my computer and use Amex's instead for that 90 days for theft/damage protection).

So does anyone know if Amex's extended warranty covers ipods?
  8. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

Jul 13, 2009
    Good to know. Obviously I have not had any experiance, just going off of what I was told.

Thanks for the clarification.

I guess my point still stands though, its still worth it!