Looking into buying a MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whplayer65, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Whplayer65 macrumors newbie

My wife's birthday/graduation is coming up this month and I have been looking into getting her a MacBook of some type. She is going into teaching and almost all the schools in our county use macs which she has grown to love (she is currently using a gateway laptop with Vista :( ). She is not into gaming or anything like that so the system doesn't have to be top notch. I was hoping to get some opinions on whether a regular MacBook, a pro, or an air would be ideal for her. I am currently leaning more towards the air since she will be carrying it a lot. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated (especially from teachers currently using one of these products!)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your choice is limited to either a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, they don't make straight up Macbooks anymore.

You're post infers you were considering that as an option.

As for which model, it really depends on your budget, mobility needs and how she'll be using the laptop.

If mobility is a major criteria, and she doesn't need too much in terms of horse power (as compared to the MBPs) I'd say go with the air.

3. gmikesell macrumors regular

What's your budget? If possible, I would get some suggestions from her colleagues. The Air might be plenty capable but if your budget allows, personally, I would suggest a 13" MBPr. Otherwise, I doubt you can go wrong with either one. Another thought might be to just get what you think she might like and when you give it to her, offer the option to exchange for a different model if she would prefer, limited by what your budget cap is.

Another suggestion is to buy from Best Buy as they seem to have some pretty decent discounts on Macbooks along with a pretty decent return policy, especially if you are a RewardZone Silver member!

4. Whplayer65 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware they weren't making regular Macbooks anymore, thanks for sharing that! Budget really isn't an issue as far as picking between an air or the lower end pro. She will primarily be using things like Microsoft Office, maybe the occasional video editing, and a lot of work on flash sites.

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

MB Air - all the way. My wife's a teacher as well. I got her the heavier MBPro and regret it. Way too much power for her needs and she lugs the thing around every day. (Granted it's a non-retina version).

Max the Air out best you can afford though. Compare the drive she's currently using in her Vista machine.

6. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I echo the macbook air. Its an awesome computer. I have the 2nd gen one and it's still going strong with no issues.

7. Whplayer65 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I'm going to go with the 13" 128GB MBA upgraded to 8gb of RAM and maybe get her an external HDD for pictures and such. Thank you all for your help!

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I think you nailed it with the MBA my friend. Prepare for long bouts of celibacy though. (She'll never stop using it :().

9. idunn macrumors 6502

The Air, with caveats

As a gift, you may be the only one looking at the options in advance—but it would be a good idea, in person.

The MacBook Air is more than powerful enough, and as distinctly the lightest the best choice for someone who will be frequently traveling with it. Also stylish. BUT, if a higher resolution than the MacBook Pro, its screen is otherwise subpar.

Compare these side by side and you should quickly notice the difference. The retina is definitely the best; and as not much heavier than the Air, a good portable option as well (if more expensive, and some Version A teething issues, or also the issue of Haswell on the horizon). But between just the MacBook Pro and Air, the former superior in its screen. Also, for that matter, more power for the money, as well as ports. But distinctly heavier.

The Air still has an okay screen, just not in comparison to the others. Your wife may not particularly notice or care. Should she, then plan on using your 14 day window to swap to something else.

A further kicker in this is the promised advent of Haswell likely in Q3 2013. It should make a decided difference in such as the 13" rMBP. But the Air should benefit as well, and may see other notable revisions with this coming change. All of which would suggest waiting for it. Since you cannot exactly, perhaps consider a refurbished Air for now—and the promise of a shining new one when out.

It could be worth the wait. And in the interim she'll have a chance to fall in love or not with the Air.

10. abc123 macrumors 6502

My vote is also with the air. Portability is key, just make sure you also pick up the appropriate adapters if she wants to use it with a projector in classes.

11. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

macbook air for sure... low weight and no need for big power since your wife estimated usage.... or maybe a mbp retina 13 previous version... if your budget is higher... however I think that the 13 air will be enough...