Looking into buying this backpack for my 17"MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by engles, Jul 18, 2008.

1. engles macrumors regular

I need a good laptop backpack to take with me to college next year that can fully protect my 17" MBP and hold a few notebooks and the occasional text book. I've been looking at the Incase Nylon Backpack (for all MacBooks) and was wondering if anyone has it or recommends it or another bag around the same 100 dollar price range. Here is a picture and link to the site.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-backpack-cl55034/4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mynameisshawn macrumors member

I don't know about that backpack, but I can vouch for Incase products, all top notch (for a price).

3. engles thread starter macrumors regular

I love incase but I really just want to know if there is a better alternative if not I am pretty set on this bag. Thanks though good to know I am not just blindly an incase fan!

4. OLD ELPASO macrumors member

I bought this backpack last week. The only difference being it was grey.

I did my research, and the only poor reviews stated that the zippers were the only weak part of this backpack. I don't plan on throwing this pack around, or tearing through zippers in a hurry, so I got it. Its a great pack, very comfortable!

5. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Wow, that looks pretty nice! I am on my way to college and also need a new backpack. I already have a sleeve for my MacBook, but I want a backpack like this one with an extra area for the MB.

But I just started looking around..and I don't know which products I can get over here easily.

EDIT: Yes, it is available here. Though it costs over 160 US dollars (converted from Swiss Francs)! But maybe I can order it over seas (dollar is really low at the moment compared to our currency) Sadly they only ship in the US. So I have to buy it locally more expensive. We don't even have real Apple stores here where I could have a look at the backpack.

I really like the design and everything, so I might buy it later on.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Incase makes excellent products. I've owned three of them and I buy their bags almost exclusively because they're good for the price. Another good backpack-style case that fits your 17" MBP is the Brenthaven Pro 15/17, but that one costs almost double. VERY good materials and construction, though. I had a Brenthaven backpack with my 1GHz PBG4 TiBook back in the day and it's fallen out of car, dropped, etc. with NO damage to my TiBook.

7. engles thread starter macrumors regular

Update: I ordered it yesterday and the bag should ship on Monday. I will review it with my first impressions and post on youtube. I will post a link when I do. Should have it by the end of the week...

8. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

I am really looking forward for you review! Because I can't look at one in person here.

9. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Nice!!

I would so get this bag if it had mesh pockets for mugs and stuff on the side. That is kind of a deal breaker for me.

10. engles thread starter macrumors regular

Well I will message you when I post it. (If I remember. I can be forgetful sometimes)

I hope my review will be sufficient I will do as good of a job as I can.

11. engles thread starter macrumors regular

Actually if you want to add my Blog I will deffinately be posting on there when I get this bag. Its a new blog but I hope to update as often as I can about MAc related things as well as other tech and geeky stuff.

http://kengles.blogspot.com/

12. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I ordered this a few weeks ago for my future MacBook pro for college next year. I have been on vacation so I have not been home to test it but it looked like a good one I actually stopped by the Sydney apple store and tried it on but I already had it probably in a box at home.

13. engles thread starter macrumors regular

awesome post when you get to try it out.

14. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

you don't have to message me. I get the thread updates and from now on I will have a look at your blog.

(by the way mine is http://besoin-de-soleil.blogspot.com/. I have some tech reviews, but most of the stuff is travel reports and some random happenings. I don't post every day, just when I feel too. Have a look at it too if you like)

15. engles thread starter macrumors regular

16. engles thread starter macrumors regular

Wow

I just got home from work and this bag was waiting for me. All I can say is WOW. Increadible bag. I will do a full review soon and post it.

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Man I would so get this bag if it was just able to fit both my macbook pro and my thinkpad x61.

Too bad I found the perfect solution for me in a northface bag and a couple of sleeves!

18. engles thread starter macrumors regular

I think you could very easily just put the macbook in the sleeve and the thinkpad in the same pocket.... sorry thats a bit confusing. Check my video when I post it youll understand.

19. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

that's mabye also my solution I will end up. thoguh I only have a MacBook. I already have a sleeve and I could also need a good Northface backpack (they have life long guerantee here) for hiking and little trips. it would be a bit smaller, though it would lack all those nice pockets fot gadgets..but than again I came along with those all these years.

but still I will have a look at the Incase backpack

20. TheFinale macrumors newbie

Try the brand Crumpler(www.crumpler.com)... its better design and more durable :)

21. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

In the same pocket?! I imagine you mean the same laptop pocket, and if so, I would be very scared to do that (scratches, pressure on the two computers, etc). Looking forward to the review though.

My thinkpad is an odd shape - 12.1" with the 8 cell battery with protrudes out its side making it like a square. I had to buy a tom binh sleeve for it because they are custom to order, and fit the thinkpad very well. With the thinkpad in the tom binh and the mbp in the stm glove (which is a very nice fit btw, with an ingenious vertical orientation), both fit in my north face borealis very well. I only need to carry two laptops on the plane ride back to baltimore from SF.

Day to day, I can just use the northface and tombinh to transport my thinkpad to school, as my mbp stays home at my desk. I think the incase backpack would be too big for me (5ft asian girl).

It is a nice solution because you can chose the right northface bag for you. Also, I find the mesh pockets on the side to be a necessity (to hold a nalgene bottle for water, and my umbrella). Too bad though...I really like the look of the incase.

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I wouldn't say that...

23. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I got here a little late to help ya, but if its any consolation, i bought the Boa 3 laptop bag by Booq. it's a great bag. It really protects the laptop. Especially since i put it in a marware sleave and then into the booq bag.

Check them out www.booq.com

I had the messenger style L bag. It was a great bag. Fit tons of stuff but weighted a ton! I had shoulder aches only after a few days of carrying it from my car to my office. I had to bite the bullet, return it (and pay the restocking fee) to trade in for the backpack. I'm glad i did because the backpack helps distribute the weight much more evenly.

24. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

there is also the axio range. they do hard and soft styles pacs, check hard, soft, and music section for a pack similar to this one http://www.axio-usa.com

25. muldul macrumors 6502

I have a "swiss gear" backpack and it is by far the most comfortable bag i have ever had. It fits my macbook nicely in a case (there are 17 inch ones as well). Te one you have your eye on is good as well.