Looking into getting a new laptop...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dan4877, Aug 29, 2012.

1. dan4877 macrumors newbie

I'm on a limited budget (about $1000) and am in need of a new laptop... Anyone know where I might be able to find possibly a gently used macbook?

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Or Craigslist. We could help you out in deciding if what you find is good or not. But, that's completely up to you. The refurb store is the safest bet.

4. dan4877 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Didn't even know Apple had a refurb store. What do you think would be the best option for me then at that budget?

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Apple Refurbished Store, eBay, Craigslist, etc...

If looking specifically at the certified refurbs - what will you be looking to do with the computer? That is how you will decide which to choose or help the forum to make suggestions.

6. yahuy022 macrumors newbie

7. dan4877 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. This particular laptop will just be used as my work laptop. Just need a good amount of space for music and sales invoices. Nothing too complex. Just want a solid laptop (preferably a mac) that will last a long time.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

In that case and with a budget of $1000, look into getting an older model of a MBP or possibly even a MacBook. I'm not sure if you will have much luck on the Apple Refurbished Store with that budget, but you should have no problem finding an older notebook model on eBay or Craigslist. It does not sound like you need a whole lot - just go for something somewhat modern - you know, dual core with at least 2 GB of RAM (will be expandable if you go for an older MB/MBP), a decent sized HDD (250GB or so - will most likely be 5400 RPM; also likely replaceable), and that should have you set.

Make sure what you are looking at is in good condition to the best of your ability, and take into account whether or not it has the original discs, manuals, peripherals, and what have you. Good luck. :)

9. dan4877 thread starter macrumors newbie

For sure. Pretty simple needs. Sounds like I can easily upgrade my RAM on a lot of models as well. And ya, the refurb store has come up empty (at least with my budget) shopping craigslist and ebay now.

10. MFL2012 macrumors member

That 2012 MBP in the refurb store is only $19 over your budget. Thinking about going for that model myself.

11. djharris macrumors member

Anything currently on the apple refurb store meets those specs. Also, typically, RAM on the MacBook airs is not upgradable, but the pros are (except retina)

Pretty sure there aren't any white MacBooks on the refurb store, so you would get an air or a pro.

Hope you enjoy your new laptop, I'm sure you will!

----------

Check back over the next few days, I see laptops under $1k all the time on the refurb store. Stock changes a lot, anyone have any comments on best time of day or week?

12. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I said that he would not have much luck on the Apple Refurbished Store with a $1000 budget, my comments and suggestions were related to eBay/Craigslist which I had specified. I understand that RAM in a MBA is not upgradeable, as I suggested an older MBP or regular MacBook.

The fact that there are not any MacBooks on the refurbished store does not really matter - again, I was referring to eBay or Craigslist as it wouldn't be advised to look in the refurb store with a $1000 budget.