Looking into wireless options: AE with Gbit or AE with Air tunes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cornopaez, Nov 25, 2007.

1. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Hey guys,

I'm looking into an affordable way of sharing my internet connection with my girlfriend and I can't seem to decide what to buy here. On one hand the AE with the Gigabit ethernet seems to be the way to go but we're only two in the apt at any given time (only two computers as well). On the other hand, the AE base with Air Tunes seems a very good idea as well. It's a fraction of the price of the Gigabit ethernet model and does pretty much the same (without the 802.11n support... then again, the internet connection is not even that fast so that it would use all the bandwidth of the router.)

I've already worked with the Airport Extreme base with the Gigabit ethernet and so I know what to expect from it. How about the other one? Any advise from experience out there? what would be the best way to go?

Your help is much appreciated!

- Mauricio -

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I'm trying to decide the same thing right now, express or extreme.

Here's what I see as the strengths weaknesses of each: (I get edu pricing of $88 for the express and $159 for the extreme)
    Express: Pro: Less expensive, small, easy to use, printer sharing, airtunes
    Con: No airdisk, no switch, possibility of interference (NYC)
    Extreme: Pro: Airdisk, Gigabit switch, 802.11n, more advanced so it should last longer, no interference
    Con: Price, larger size for traveling

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I find the AExpress to be great with my stereo connected to it, with a printer. I'm not sure on the range of it cause I had it set as a WDS (bridge). If it's a small place then I say go for it.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you're just in an apartment the AEx will cover the enter place and will handle 2 computers just fine. Also, AirTunes is so worth it. Once you start using it you'll find that FrontRow 2 is waaaaay lacking since it doesn't support it.

5. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

I live in a large city but the interference it's not going to be an issue (at least I don't think so.) Plus, the refurbished price is $79, which is even less than the Edu price and it's basically the same. The disk sharing I really don't use that much and the 802.11n I can sacrifice; the printer sharing is definitively a plus.

We've decided to go for the AExpress... thanks for your advice guys!