Looking to access resource fork from retro game

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by katothen, Feb 15, 2018.

1. katothen macrumors newbie

Hey!

I'm a Windows user with a quick favor to ask, do any of you have ResEdit installed? I've attached a resource fork file to this thread with an image that I'm trying to get out of it, preferably as BMP. It'd be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mmphosis macrumors member

mmphosis

The ZIP file athesis.zip contains a single file athesis.meg

# DeRez -useDF athesis.meg
    ### DeRez - The resource file "athesis.meg" appears to be corrupt.

# hexdump -vC athesis.meg

I see some header data, Mac OS X, rsrcRSED, ATTR;, and PICT near the end of the file. Presumably there is a PICT image embedded in there. ResEdit runs on Mac OS 9 and earlier, maybe Classic, or an emulator: https://sheepshaver.cebix.net/

3. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

athesis.png

That was fun to solve...

The .zip had lost track of the resource fork, so a little sleuthing revealed a little known OS X tool called "FixupResourceForks" which when run on a directory searches for Mac OS resource forks in files with the same name, prefixed with "._"

1. mkdir athesis
    2. cp athesis.meg athesis
    3. cd athesis
    4. cp athesis.meg ._athesis.meg (duplicating the file and prefixing with the magic resource identifier)
    5. /System/Library/CoreServices/FixupResourceForks . (this attaches the "._" file as a resource fork to the matching file's data fork)

6. Fire up Sheepshaver (Mac OS 8.6)
    7. I had configured Sheepshaver to use my ~/Downloads folder as the Unix directory, so it shows up on the Mac OS Desktop as "Unix"
    8. Reach in and drag a copy of athesis.meg to the Desktop (holding option key).
    9. Fire up ResEdit 2.1.3 and open the athesis.meg file.
    10. The PICT resource was at ID#1
    11. Edit -> Copy the resource
    12. Fire up Adobe Photoshop 3.0
    13. Cmd-N for a new image at the resolution of the clipboard image
    14. Cmd-V to paste in
    15. Save as TIFF format (with .tiff extension)
    16. Copy the .tiff file back to the Unix directory.
    17. Open with Preview and Export as PNG.

Voila! Sheepshaver was a little crash happy, but that technique worked out OK .

EDIT: This was using Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 - I was surprised the resource fork tools still existed.

4. katothen thread starter macrumors newbie