Looking to build a home studio, please help me. I need advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by garrettjohn, Jun 23, 2009.

1. garrettjohn macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm looking to build a home studio primarily for my film projects. I enjoy doing a lot of the postproduction, and I would love being able to work in the comfort of my own home. I do the occasional music composition, photography gigs (just a hobby), and photoshop ventures too - keep that in mind. I have a little room to play with, finical room that is. Nothing more than 9k, but in the case lets just settle with 8k. As of now, I have all my camera equipment for film and photography, except a dslr... just sold my old one.

I have a list and I'd enjoy feedback, suggestions, and hear whatever you feel like saying.

List 1:

• mac pro
    Two 2.66 Q-C
    8GB (Enough for intensive FCS2 tasks?)
    2TB - for now
    ATI 4870 512 (How much does this differ from the ati in the high end macbook pros? Forgive my ignorance.)
    Two SuperDrives
    Wifi
    $5,043

• M-Audio Axiom 25 USB MIDI Controller Keyboard
    (I am sure I'd rather have their $700 stage Piano, what do you think?)
    $179

• Apple LED Cinema Display
    (I can't really afford the 30 inch canvas. Sad. But this could do for the next 10-12 months)
    $799

• M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Speaker System
    (Has anyone ever used these speakers? They aren't exactly what I'd call reference monitors, but from what I have read they'll suffice until later next year. What do you all think? Sound is important to me.)
    $150

• Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera w/ 28-135mm Lens Kit
    $1,399

• Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro 6
    (Can never learn too much, right?)
    $54

• Apogee Wyde 12ft. XLR (Male) to XLR (Female) Patch Cable
    $39

• M-Audio Fast Track Pro 4-Input USB Audio Interface for Microphone and Guitar
    (Need this for the stage Piano - if I go for it - and my Microphone)
    $249

• Blue Microphones Bluebird Microphone
    (Any opinion? I need a better condenser microphone for voiceover narration and for podcasting.)
    $299

• Final Cut Studio 2
    (Why? Because it is FCS2)
    $699

Estimated Total: $9,221.49

- And yes, I am a college student. Motion Picture & Television Major. The discount helps. Any ideas on how to cut some corners, or invest in other hardware? Give me all you got. It would appear I have already stepped over my 9k limit.

2. mcruzader macrumors regular

I think everything you have is a great. I would consider getting the yamaha hs-50m or even the hs-80m those are great studio monitors. Also, as for the axiom you could just go for the 49key. I find that the 25 key is a bit on the small side for composition. For the mac pro remember to get harddrives, dvd-drives and ram separately from another vendor such as newegg or macsales, you'll save more money than you already would.

3. Dale Campbell macrumors member

I would add pop shield and a mic stand, and a duvet to cut down on some of the the room reflections/flutter echoes etc put the duvet in a corner (maybe on another mic stand) and then stand facing out into the room with the pop shield and mic in front of you.
    Haven't used that blue mic but pop along to soundonsound.co.uk and check out the forums there.

Also the apogee mic cable is probably very nice but I would go with a neutrik XLR and vandamme or sommer cable mic lead at about half the price, (or if your handy with a soldering iron make one...)

4. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about a good microphone stand, but I am having trouble finding something decent online - almost wish I could be physically present for that particular purchase, not too sure why. Good input so far. Great advice. Thank you. Keep it coming if you don't mind, folks. I believe my Blue comes with a pop filter, I'll double check.

5. garrettjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to ask: what would be the disadvantages of getting a Macbook Pro (17'', 3.06GHz, 500GB 7200rpm, 8 RAM) instead of the Mac Pro I have on my list? Performance specs in FCS2 is very important. Can someone give me a proper example of what the productivity power will be like?