looking to buy 15 inch with Retina display help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elyah, Dec 22, 2013.

1. elyah macrumors member

I apologize in advance I'm a newbie have never owned a mac book pro I'm looking to buy my question is what's the advantage
    of the Nvidia GeForce GT 750 2GB just don't know if I need it or should I buy with Out. also looking to order the time capsule with this computer and purchase AppleCare from B&H will applecare cover time capsule and the computer if I buy at the same time

2. dirtnnasty macrumors member

The GeForce Videocard brings you more power for gaming and graphic work...

And no, the time capsule is not covered if you buy a AppleCare package, because it is MacBook related guarantee...

3. elyah thread starter macrumors member

Dirtynnosty thank you for your reply. reason why I asked if it covered time capsule under AppleCare I've read some post in this Forum some say if you buy at the same time it will cover time capsule as well thank you

4. drought macrumors newbie

iris graphics will be sufficient if you don't game or do a lot of graphic/video work. what are you looking to use the macbook for?

5. laurihoefs, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

From http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html:
    And then it says:
    So yes, an AirPort Time Capsule is covered by AppleCare, even if purchased before or after the computer.

Edit: From http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appmacnaen.html:

6. elyah thread starter macrumors member

Drought ;18540659]iris graphics will be sufficient if you don't game or do a lot of graphic/video work. what are you looking to use the macbook for?[/QUOTE]
    Drought thanks for your reply. browsing the Internet, occasionally Photoshop, may convert some VHS Home Videos to Dvds down the line I would kind of like to future proof myself in case just would like to make sure I don't regret it. also I will keep the computer for at least five to six years thank you for your help in recommendations

----------

Laurihoefs also
    thank you for this great Info& link sounds like a time capsule will be covered under AppleCare bought from B&H

7. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Based on your usage I think the model with Iris Pro only would be a better choice. It's powerful enough for Photoshop. The GPU upgrade might be more worth it for a gamer or someone who does video editing / 3D stuff.

If you want to future proof your purchase as much as possible I think the money would be better spent on the 16GB RAM upgrade, which you can also get on the model without the GT 750M.

8. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Unless your video editing program takes advantage of CUDA (most do not), the Iris Pro will still be the better choice for that purpose.

9. drought macrumors newbie

in that case, +1 for iris graphics with 16gb ram. a cheaper and more effective future-proofing upgrade for your uses than the 750m.

10. elyah thread starter macrumors member

11. elyah thread starter macrumors member

thank you its a plus when you can save some money lol
    just wanted to make sure I didn't regret not having the 750 in there but from what I'm reading it would definitely handle Photoshop with ease. and the money I saved I will use to upgrade the RAM I will definitely add 16 RAM one more question stick with the bass processor or upgrade that as well.

12. elyah thread starter macrumors member

quote=saturnotaku;18542004]Unless your video editing program takes advantage of CUDA (most do not), the Iris Pro will still be the better choice for that purpose.[/QUOTE]
    thank you for your reply as well this computer will only be home computer and will be my main computerI may get in to edit but more hobby type of stuff like HDR timelapse.so I'm sure the IRS pro will be, able to handle
    what I'm trying to say I won't be making money from this computer just for personal use.

13. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'd stick with the base processor.

Personally I got the $100 upgrade and kind of regret having chosen it. My 15" rMBP is almost never under full load (100% CPU used) so I doubt it really makes a difference. Even under full load, benchmarks show the upgraded CPU barely speeds things up. Again, if you did very heavy stuff like video editing regularly I'd say get it, but for your use case I think you better stick with the base model and keep the money you save for nice accessories like the Time Capsule you mentioned.

14. elyah thread starter macrumors member

[QUoere1593]I'd stick with the base processor.

Personally I got the $100 upgrade and kind of regret having chosen it. My 15" rMBP is almost never under full load (100% CPU used) so I doubt it really makes a difference. Even under full load, benchmarks show the upgraded CPU barely speeds things up. Again, if you did very heavy stuff like video editing regularly I'd say get it, but for your use case I think you better stick with the base model and keep the money you save for nice accessories like the Time Capsule you mentioned.[/QUOTE]
    thank you all For the replys and help. merry Christmas to you all!

15. niblet, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

niblet macrumors newbie

If you dont mind slightly lower performance, buy refurbished 2012 model and save $800

If you don't know if you need the 2 GB memory, and you don't mind a slightly lower battery life, look at the refurbished 2012 or EARLY 2013 rMBP. I just bought a refurbished rMBP from Apple with 650M Graphics and a quad-core i7 2.6 GHz and 16 GB Ram for $1829. I am typing this using my rMBP, and completely love it, aside from slight heat during graphics intensive projects. The 650M works great for SimCity and iMovie, and if i am correct, the 750M is not much faster that the 650M is, although the integrated Iris graphics are about twice as fast as the HD 4000. If you wont use the integrated graphics much, I would suggest the Refurb 2012 model, so you can save a ton of money. $2600 vs. $1800, which you can spend on a time capsule and Apple Care. If you are unsure if you need the extra power, I suggest the refurbished model, which comes with the same warranty, and is indistinguishable from new aside from the lack of a shiny white Apple box.

This refurbished model is also a nice compromise, because you get almost all of the performance of the 2Gb model, and about twice as much performance as the integrated model for a price that allows you to buy both Apple Care and a Time Capsule for around the same price as the 2GB model
    Good Luck!