Looking to buy 2nd Gen iPod Touch-How can I save up?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MikesMethod, Sep 21, 2008.

1. MikesMethod macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. As you probably are, I too am excited after the latest Apple Keynote unveiling the 2nd Generation iPod Touch and the 4th Generation Nanos. Since I currently have a 2nd generation nano, I am thinking about going for a different look. That different look is looking like buying a new 2nd Generation iPod touch.

I think the 8gb would suit my needs just fine so that would be $230 + tax. The reason I am posting this is to get advice from the helpful people here on MacRumors Forums. I currently have about $100 and I need ideas to help me save up $130 as you probably have figured out I am not an adult and I don't have a job.

I will take any of your ideas, and please note your favorite feature of the iPod Touch so I have something to look forward to besides saving money.:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. muldul macrumors 6502

3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Sell your crap. Or you can wait till the holidays.

4. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Well how did you get that 100$? How old are you? Can you do a paper route or something for a month? Sell something you own? Garage Sale?

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Mowing lawns and other jobs with friendly neighbors is how I earned a lot of money. That and generous grandparents. ;)

But find a part-time job and stick with it, and you'll have way too much money to spend, even on Apple products, at your age. So then try giving some of it to charity and saving for college. :)

6. azure247 macrumors 6502

Sad you are not over 18 because there is several methods of earning money online through GPT and online jobs (yes they do exist and easy to do for extra income). Also, buy the ipod touch on Amazon so you dont incur taxation on your purchase- it saves you a lot.

7. njguyfla macrumors member

Save you allowance money, be patient and maybe you will get money for Christmas or for your Birthday if that is coming up.

Or wait for Christmas and ask Santa to bring you one. :D

8. Funplex macrumors regular

Make a jar for saving change. You'd be surprised at how quick you can save cash from coins.

Also-- cut back on gratutious spending. Buy a coffee every day? skip that and put the money in the jar instead. Same goes for takeout food. Buy a small instead of med or lg, and save the extra.

9. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Do what I did... I asked all my friends and family to give me Apple gift cards for birthdays, Christmas, etc... I only paid 90 dollars for the new 2g 32gb touch!

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Ask for money to eat, and dont spend it. Thats how I saved money fast.

11. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Yeah dude when the psp came out when i was 14 I just asked my dad for 5$ every day for lunch at school and so instead i would make lunch at home and be low key about it and just not spend the money, i had enough in a month ( i already had like 150 saved lolz)

12. MikesMethod thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone so much for the great ideas and tips. I have to say, the best idea is to ask for money to eat or go to the movies and then spend as little as possible. I have tried this in the past, but my hunger overcame me.

Now I have more motivation to save and I'm sure it will work.

:apple::apple::apple:

13. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

14. Funplex macrumors regular

Budget your food. Make sandwiches and bring them with you so you don't go splurging the cash.

15. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

If you get lunch money for school, save it, and make your own lunch. I still do that now. And my mom even knows about it.

16. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

you could always eat something to fill you up, then get an appetizer eating out or something

17. azure247 macrumors 6502

Instead of asking for money to go eat, ask for an allowance since you are a kid.

18. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I don't know... my friend's mom usually wears revealing clothes standing on the streets. She said that's how she makes money or something... i don't know...

19. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Any odd-jobs/chores you can do for cash?
    Car-cleaning, jobs around the house/yard that sort of thing?
    You'd be amazed the amount of cash you can save on general stuff like lunches and take-out. When I was saving for my iMac I banned myself from the drive-thru etc and bought cheap micro-stuff from the supermarket. Saved myself a fortune.

You're gonna love it- my Touch came yesterday, it's fantastic. Screen's gorgeous and I'm amazed how well the WiFi works. Just spent all evening playing games on it really. Download the Guided Tour video and some pictures and whenever you feel like splurging your cash, look at those and it'll stop you :D

20. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Now now, he needed on advice on how to save, not where to spend his savings :p

21. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

The solution is simple:

The generous grandparents... ;)

Let them buy it, save the money you've accumulated for accessories, etc. Sweet talk 'em, leave brochures for the iPT around at discrete places, bring it up in discussions, talk about it all the time, make it well known you want one almost desparately. If they're paying any attention at all - and what grandparents don't - you'll have one sooner than you think. :D

22. JBROCKS macrumors newbie

do u know any one that woks at apple??????? or sum one that u know that knows sum one? that is what i am doing i am 13 and am broke but my brothers friend works at apple and the employee discount is 25% which is over 60$ off the 2 g i pod touch and now i am getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)