Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Which iPhone 3GS (or even iPhone 3G's in the past) have/had the highest resale value between the black phones and the white phones? And I'm speaking of between eBay or Craigslist....

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
Which iPhone 3GS (or even iPhone 3G's in the past) have/had the highest resale value between the black phones and the white phones? And I'm speaking of between eBay or Craigslist....

Well, with the iPhone 3G you could only get the white one if you chose the higher capacity, and more expensive 16GB model.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Color doesn't matter; what does matter is whether it is JB & UL and the going rate can be found on EB or CL......Good luck!
Really? Because I thought the white iPhones were more rare, which, by definition, should make them more valuable when the time comes for resale....

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

They used to be. The 3Gs comes in 16gb and 32gb, and both sizes come in black and white. Before, 8gb and 16gb versions, only the 16gb came in white but now it doesn't matter.

FXT 1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
UK
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

They used to be. The 3Gs comes in 16gb and 32gb, and both sizes come in black and white. Before, 8gb and 16gb versions, only the 16gb came in white but now it doesn't matter.

As said. Concluding, go for the white model.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Really? Because I thought the white iPhones were more rare, which, by definition, should make them more valuable when the time comes for resale....
There is not a real price difference since there are millions of both colors available now...:eek:

Currently, AT&T has plenty of White units in-stock online but the black units are backordered.

It really depends on the color selection of the purchaser as you are trying to dump your iPhone 3GS next year.

Dave

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Get a white one, case cracking is still a problem, replace the phone at the last possible minute.

If you plan on selling next June/July, color does not matter, there will be plenty of prospective buyers. Get a BestSkinsEver and a rubber case (because the hard cases don't stretch and things that slide don't go well with the BSE) and you will be fine.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
The white iPhone 3GS is only more rare because not as many people wanted it in the first place, so it shouldn't matter much.

If your just going to have this iPhone for a while, and you've had a black on in the past, I would go with white just to see how you like it.

That's what I did and personally I think it doesn't go well at all with the glass/black front. But I don't regret my decision as I'll only have it for a few months before the 3GS is cheap enough to pick up on eBay.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
It's a phone, not an investment. Buy the color you want and don't worry about the $5-10 extra you might get in the used market in a couple of years. Life is too short.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
For the unlocked ones I just bought the white ones were a bit more because more people wanted them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think the color of the iPhone will affect the resale value. White or black is a purely personal preference and not one that will drive up a price imho.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.