Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
As the weather's taken a lovely turn here for a while we've found ourselves in the back garden with my nephews most nights having a whale of a time. The thought of buying a camcorder has been hovering for a while but we were frolicking the other night and I thought "It's a shame we haven't got this on camera."

Add to that the fact that my sister is due to give birth to a 3rd nephew or 1st niece any day now and I've decided to take the plunge.

I've narrowed it down to these three offers/cameras:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...49&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11249,46790000,13

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/384194/SAMSUNG-VP-D371W-XEU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...x=0&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=new

I know they're all Samsung but that's because I found the best deals on their cameras. I'm not after a stunning unit here. What I do want is:

Overall good sound and picture quality

Flexibility between indoors and outdoors use: switching from sunny back garden with kids tearing around to indoors with bambino is a must

iMac compatibility- it has to integrate well with iMovie etc

Now, I know at that budget I'm at the bottom of the ladder and shouldn't expect miracles and I honestly don't. I've plumped for the "cheap" option with digital cameras, my TV etc and I know it doesn't necessarily mean losing out. A robust camcorder with good picture and sound for general family moments is great by me.

Any advice, alternatives or review sites would be welcome.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give :)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If you want to edit your video, then you need mini DV and FireWire. Each of your candidates use mini DV. This is a good thing. There is no indication that any of your candidates have FireWire ports. This is a bad thing.

My suggestion to you is to research the models that you are considering on their manufacturers' websites. Then find the honest vendor with the best price.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
I think the Flip Video is rather interesting - there's a detailed video review here.

It only has a USB connection - but is easy to use, and apparently does very well in low light, like indoors. The video is supposedly high quality too, I don't know if would match what you've been looking at, but if portability (and simplicity) is important then it might be worth considering.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
MisterMe said:
This is a good thing. There is no indication that any of your candidates have FireWire ports. This is a bad thing.

The Samsung 381 doesn't have Firewire, the rest do so I'll avoid that one.

karenflower said:
I think the Flip Video is rather interesting - there's a detailed video review here.

It only has a USB connection - but is easy to use, and apparently does very well in low light, like indoors. The video is supposedly high quality too, I don't know if would match what you've been looking at, but if portability (and simplicity) is important then it might be worth considering.

That's an interesting little camera- might remember that as a present for my sister, but it's not really what I'm after. It looks good but it saves movies as AVI which doesn't go well with iMovie without some tinkering so I think I'll stick with miniDV cameras.

Cheers anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.